Attendance Rolls

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
MorettiDP

Post by MorettiDP »

Yes, but it will generate a large cost for paper and toner, and a big job...
I will continue to search another way ;-)
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

MorettiDP wrote:We have had another problem in our ward. A new called bishopric need an attendance roll for all the ward members for use during the sacramental meeting. It will be used to try for people not present at the meeting and after visit the house of these people. MLS don't show any option for an attendance roll for all members of the ward. Any of you have a solution for problems like this???
You can create a new Sunday School class called something like "Everyone." Don't specify any rules so that everyone in the ward will match the rules (this will make sure that every new member of the ward gets added automatically). Manually add every member of the ward to the class. Then you can print the roll for that class just like any other class. With 8.5x11 paper, you'll get 39 members on the first page and 51 per subsequent page, so a ward of about 400 people will take about 8 pages for a 4-month roll.
MorettiDP

Post by MorettiDP »

It can be done Alan, but with it I will be unable to print attendance rolls for regular Sunday School classes, no?
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

MorettiDP wrote:It can be done Alan, but with it I will be unable to print attendance rolls for regular Sunday School classes, no?
No, any given individual can be a member to more than one Sunday School class. Therefore, the only change you are making is to let everyone also be a member of the "Everyone" class, in addition to their current classes. It shouldn't affect any currently existing or even future Sunday School classes.
MorettiDP

Post by MorettiDP »

Ok, I will try! Thanks, guys!
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

jbh001 wrote:There are two kinds of resets, individual and global.

To reset an individual to the default organizations, from the MLS menu bar, navigate to Membership > Individual Record > select the desired record > then click the Reset Organizations For Member link.

To do a global reset of classes, from the MLS menu bar, navigate to Organizations > select either Sunday School or Primary (since these are the only ones a global reset applies to) > make sure you have selected the Primary (or Sunday School) tab on the left-most side of the window, and that the Show: dropdown box is set to All or Classes > use the right-most scroll bar to scroll to the bottom of the window > then click the Reset Classes link. This will delete all classes in the selected organization, including all custom classes, and recreate the default classes for that organization, including the default rules, and then automatically assign all members that meet those rules to those classes. At least that's what it is suppoed to do. YMMV.;)
Just to clarify that I didn't recently mess up the Primary's settings, selecting "Reset Classes" in the Sunday School organization has no effect on the Primary classes, correct? And vice versa? I hope I didn't just give our Primary Presidency a major headache of a problem... :o

Also I wanted to say something about my experience using this feature. It worked great in our case because no rules were set up and people were automatically being added to every class. We even had Primary kids being added to some of the Sunday School classes. Anyway, this removed everyone from every class, removed any custom classes, reset the rules of the default classes, and then reapplied the rules to all members of the ward in order to see if they should be automatically added to certain classes.

Then we were able to create our auxiliary Sunday School classes mimicking the rules that were set up for the default classes MLS created, with one exception however: we wanted no one to be automatically added to any of these auxiliary classes; we wanted it to manually move people in and out every few months. So we set the minimum age on those classes to be like 200, making it impossible for any member of the ward to "automatically" qualify for the class.

Now here's the thing I really want to note. When we did the "Reset Classes" feature, it appeared to remove those that were in Sunday School callings as well. I say "appeared" because that whole area of the screen was blank as soon as the processing finished. We had prepared ourselves by printing out the report before clicking "Reset Classes," so we were getting ready to reenter the info manually. At some point we closed the view of the Sunday School organization screen and reopened it, and magically all of the callings and members in those callings was restored to the screen. So I think it's safe to say that the "Reset Classes" feature won't remove your callings as well, including someone who was called to be an instructor to a class that will be deleted by the "Reset Classes" feature. But just in case, print out the info before you try the feature just as backup.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

mkmurray wrote:Just to clarify that I didn't recently mess up the Primary's settings, selecting "Reset Classes" in the Sunday School organization has no effect on the Primary classes, correct? And vice versa? I hope I didn't just give our Primary Presidency a major headache of a problem...
I have never observed this behavior in MLS. So I feel safe in saying that using the "Reset Classes" link for Primary will NOT affect Sunday School classes, and vice versa.
mkmurray wrote:So I think it's safe to say that the "Reset Classes" feature won't remove your callings as well, including someone who was called to be an instructor to a class that will be deleted by the "Reset Classes" feature.
I have only experienced a glitch with callings and the "Reset Classes" link once. My experience and resolution are detailed in the following post.

http://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.ph ... #post12613
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mkmurray wrote:It worked great in our case because no rules were set up and people were automatically being added to every class.
Just a nit-pick - I think it's more accurate to say that somewhere along the line, someone deleted the default rules rather then to suggest that they were never set up. ;)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:Just a nit-pick - I think it's more accurate to say that somewhere along the line, someone deleted the default rules rather then to suggest that they were never set up. ;)

Actually, that's not accurate at all -- mkmurray was much closer to what must have happened. There is no way to change the rules for a class. Rules can only be specified as a class is added. So if there were classes without rules, they were classes that were added, either totally new classes, or classes that were added to replace default classes. Default classes have default rules that never change.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

OK, but the bottom line is the problem was caused by a "sin of commission" and not a "sin of omission", right? (Well, I guess it was something they didn't do while they were doing something optional.)

Bottom line, I didn't want someone to think there was something they had to do when setting up a new unit in MLS. This mess had help.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”