MLS 2.9 Vista Compatibility

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

Nothing I have tried has worked. I tried rebooting after the uninstall of my own Java instance, but didn't work. I tried uninstalling MLS, rebooting, reinstalling MLS, but that didn't work either. I then tried your trick of installing Java 6 Update 14 over top MLS's instance of Java, rebooting, but that didn't work.

I just always get the same error whenever logging off or exiting and a Financial Backup is initiated:
mkmurray wrote:MLS just fails and shuts down immediately with an error that a Java library (specifically the Java Platform SE binary) stopped working.

This is with Win 2K compatibility. With XP compatibility, it errors off more gracefully within MLS but I end up having to End Task it to get it to go away.

I have never had to do the Full Access trick on the MLS folder in Program Files, as I've never hung when MLS is loading.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

When I uninstalled MLS and then reinstalled this morning, I grabbed the very new 3.0.1 version. As I was trying to clean up my machine after all this mess I made, I noticed that Afaria was nowhere to be found.

Does MLS 3.0.1 not install Afaria? That will also imply it doesn't depend on it either?

The only other explanation I have is that even though I uninstalled Afaria before, perhaps there was some remnant left behind (registry, file system, etc.) that the MLS installer checks and mistakenly decided it didn't need to install the dependency.

I found an empty AClient folder in my Program Files and I found a few registry entries referring to AfariaSessions. I have since removed those and think I will try installing MLS one more time to see if Afaria gets installed.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

mkmurray wrote:When I uninstalled MLS and then reinstalled this morning, I grabbed the very new 3.0.1 version. As I was trying to clean up my machine after all this mess I made, I noticed that Afaria was nowhere to be found.

Does MLS 3.0.1 not install Afaria? That will also imply it doesn't depend on it either?

The only other explanation I have is that even though I uninstalled Afaria before, perhaps there was some remnant left behind (registry, file system, etc.) that the MLS installer checks and mistakenly decided it didn't need to install the dependency.

I found an empty AClient folder in my Program Files and I found a few registry entries referring to AfariaSessions. I have since removed those and think I will try installing MLS one more time to see if Afaria gets installed.
Oh, interesting...

I cleaned up everything I could find and tried installing MLS again. It didn't install Afaria anywhere I can find.

However, it did create a folder under C:\Program Files\LDS Church\ called AClient, which contains an installer for Afaria. This AClient folder is a sibling to the MLS folder at the same location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mkmurray wrote:Oh, interesting...

I cleaned up everything I could find and tried installing MLS again. It didn't install Afaria anywhere I can find.

However, it did create a folder under C:\Program Files\LDS Church\ called AClient, which contains an installer for Afaria. This AClient folder is a sibling to the MLS folder at the same location.
For me, Afaria continues to be installed as it has for many versions. Afaria is installed in the C:\Program Files\AClient folder.

The folder C:\Program Files\LDS Church\AClient does contain only the installer. I assume it is put there as part of the install process and then the MLS installer actually runs it to install Afaria. But the actual installation of Afaria is in C:\Program Files\AClient.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

Alan_Brown wrote:For me, Afaria continues to be installed as it has for many versions. Afaria is installed in the C:\Program Files\AClient folder.

The folder C:\Program Files\LDS Church\AClient does contain only the installer. I assume it is put there as part of the install process and then the MLS installer actually runs it to install Afaria. But the actual installation of Afaria is in C:\Program Files\AClient.
Something about uninstalling Afaria is keeping it from being reinstalled automatically...

Either that or MLS 3.0.1's installer doesn't call Afaria's installer...
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mkmurray wrote:Something about uninstalling Afaria is keeping it from being reinstalled automatically...

Either that or MLS 3.0.1's installer doesn't call Afaria's installer...
Neither of those statements is true in general. I just uninstalled Afaria, and removed the C:\Program Files\AClient folder to make sure it was totally gone. Then I did an MLS 3.0.1 installation, and the C:\Program Files\AClient folder was back, with all the appropriate files installed. That's exactly what should happen.

I did this on XP Pro. Maybe you're seeing another Vista problem. I haven't had a chance to install 3.0.1 under Vista yet.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

Alan_Brown wrote:Neither of those statements is true in general. I just uninstalled Afaria, and removed the C:\Program Files\AClient folder to make sure it was totally gone. Then I did an MLS 3.0.1 installation, and the C:\Program Files\AClient folder was back, with all the appropriate files installed. That's exactly what should happen.

I did this on XP Pro. Maybe you're seeing another Vista problem. I haven't had a chance to install 3.0.1 under Vista yet.
Man, I just need an XP VM to make all these problems go away.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Alan_Brown wrote:I did this on XP Pro. Maybe you're seeing another Vista problem. I haven't had a chance to install 3.0.1 under Vista yet.
It appears to be a non-XP anomaly. After installing MLS 3.0.1 on Vista, I had no %ProgramFiles%\AClient folder either. When I tried to run the Afaria installer located in the %ProgramFiles%\LDS Church\AClient folder, it would just quietly die. Apparently it also has an OS version filter built-in because when I changed it to XP compatible mode, it ran successfully and installed itself in the %ProgramFiles%\AClient folder. It also added the Afaria Scheduler to the Startup folder.

Even after all this, I can't reproduce the finance backup error you are seeing, Mike. Anything else you want me to try?
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I've been lucky enough to avoid Vista. One thought - does the "compatibility mode" get inherited by spawned child processes?

Along the same lines, I see the possibility that there's a big difference between launching the install in compatibility mode and trying to make it run after it's been installed in "normal" mode.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

RussellHltn wrote:I've been lucky enough to avoid Vista. One thought - does the "compatibility mode" get inherited by spawned child processes?
I think it's supposed to in most cases. :) We all know there will be those times when it doesn't.
RussellHltn wrote:Along the same lines, I see the possibility that there's a big difference between launching the install in compatibility mode and trying to make it run after it's been installed in "normal" mode.
Interesting though, as I never launched the installer itself in compatibility mode, which could be the problem (but I didn't do that before either when Afaria installed correctly the first time in installed MLS).
Mikerowaved wrote:Anything else you want me to try?
Nah, I think I'll just get an XP VM in order to run MLS and quit fooling around with Vista.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”