Mls 2.9

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
pete_arnett-p40

MLS 2.9.0-14316 Out-of-Unit Administrator has returned

Post by pete_arnett-p40 »

MLS 2.90.-14316 22Aug2008, 17:32 hours (EDT)

The "Stake Administrator" is now gone

The out of unit "Out-of-Unit Administrator" has returned

see attachment
Attachments
MLS 290-14316 Add User 2008 08 22.jpg
(61.04 KiB) Downloaded 192 times
:cool: Your Fellow Servant,
Porter (Pete) Lee Arnett Jr.
USA
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

pete_arnett wrote:MLS 2.90.-14316 22Aug2008, 17:32 hours (EDT)

see attachment
Yes, this was in the version I downloaded last week. Is there a new version this week?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

pete_arnett wrote:MLS 2.90.-14316 22Aug2008, 17:32 hours (EDT)

see attachment
The Out-of-Unit Administrator was part of Beta 3 (last week's release). I'm not sure what you mean by "has returned" -- there was only regular users in MLS 2.8, and then Stake Administrator got added to MLS 2.9b2, and then that was changed to Out-of-Unit Administrator for 2.9b3.

The one piece of information I am missing is that I was not privy to 2.9b1, so I suppose it's possible that there was something different in this area for Beta 1.

In any case, I like the Out-of-Unit Administrator implementation much better. It gives us the flexibility to have multiple stake administrators. Certainly the STS needs a login, but there may be other stake personnel who could also be helpful (the stake clerk, the stake financial clerk, or in some stakes an assistant STS). This also lets us attach a username to each Out-of-Unit Administrator user account (with the Stake Administrator implementation, the name "Stake Administrator" was forced).
pete_arnett-p40

MLS 2.90.-14316 22Aug2008, 15:12 EDT

mkmurray wrote:Yes, this was in the version I downloaded last week. Is there a new version this week?

This is the version that was download on Friday, 22Aug2008, 15:12 EDT and I just did a "Get Updates Now" at 17:50 hours EDT and nothing changed
Attachments
mls 2.9-14316 Help 2008 08 22.jpg
(96.64 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
USA
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mkmurray wrote:After further review, the reason the Urgent Task disappeared immediately after download of the new revision of MLS 2.9 was because "magically" all of the logins got tied to members' record numbers. Apparently, it is more likely that the Church wrote a little algorithm that automatically matched up logins to members if the login name matched the member's name. This is further verified by the fact that the Urgent Task now had a checkmark by it.
Hmm. I found this hard to believe when I first read it, and I just completed a test that seems to show that this is not happening as you describe.

Using MLS 2.8.3, I created user logins named KYLE ACORD and RAUL ASAY (names in the test unit 108). I made sure that they had no user name associated with them.

Then I upgraded to MLS 2.9b4 and looked at those users. They are still not associated with any member (but of course MLS 2.9 keeps reminding me of this and urging me to make that association).

Is there any way that someone else in your ward made the associations manually without your knowledge, and so no association was made automatically? Given that usernames are not required to follow any convention, I find it hard to believe that the MLS developers would bother to make an automatic association based on the name, in the relatively rare case where the username happens to match the member name. My test seems to bear this out.

I suppose we could also put the question out to others on this forum: has anyone else had such an experience with MLS 2.9 where it appears that user names have automatically been associated with member names as part of the upgrade from 2.8.x to 2.9?
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

Alan_Brown wrote:Using MLS 2.8.3, I created user logins named KYLE ACORD and RAUL ASAY (names in the test unit 108). I made sure that they had no user name associated with them.

Then I upgraded to MLS 2.9b4 and looked at those users. They are still not associated with any member (but of course MLS 2.9 keeps reminding me of this and urging me to make that association).

Is there any way that someone else in your ward made the associations manually without your knowledge, and so no association was made automatically? Given that usernames are not required to follow any convention, I find it hard to believe that the MLS developers would bother to make an automatic association based on the name, in the relatively rare case where the username happens to match the member name. My test seems to bear this out.

I suppose we could also put the question out to others on this forum: has anyone else had such an experience with MLS 2.9 where it appears that user names have automatically been associated with member names as part of the upgrade from 2.8.x to 2.9?
So I don't have the rights to do the associating and I know for sure the Ward Clerk was out of town during the time between MLS 2.9 Beta 2 and Beta 3. I believe the Bishop was out of town most of the week, but I cannot answer at all for any Stake Clerks. Also, I posted about Beta 3 apparently (a Beta 3 that was upgraded from a Beta 2); perhaps this has to be taken into account. Also our usernames are not all caps, but normal casing.

With all of this said, I still agree my assertion seems unlikely. The only real evidence I have is that the Urgent Task was still there, I downloaded the upgrade to Beta 3, restarted, and then the Urgent Task was check marked and all logins were associated with members. All I really have as evidence is what I remember seeing I guess.
pete_arnett-p40

MLS 2.9.0 Versions - use build number

Suggestion - use the build under found in the Help > About

Because the units in the early testing automatically get the updates and we only know MLS version by thier build number

MLS 2.9.0_14316
Attachments
mls 2.9-14316 Help 2008 08 22.jpg
(96.64 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
USA
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

pete_arnett wrote:Suggestion - use the build under found in the Help > About

Because the units in the early testing automatically get the updates and we only know MLS version by thier build number

MLS 2.9.0_14316
The dates are actually more helpful to me, as the build numbers mean nothing to me. On the main login page that comes up when starting MLS, there is a small text label in the bottom right corner that says the build number and the date of that build number.

What do you think?
pete_arnett-p40

MLS 2.9 - use Version, Build, Date and Time

mkmurray wrote:The dates are actually more helpful to me, as the build numbers mean nothing to me. On the main login page that comes up when starting MLS, there is a small text label in the bottom right corner that says the build number and the date of that build number.

What do you think?

Yes I agree that using the MLS version, build, date and time will give everyone what they need and to me, it is better than b3 or b4

MLS 2.9.0_14316 August 21, 2008 10:08
USA
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Alan_Brown wrote:I like the Out-of-Unit Administrator implementation much better. It gives us the flexibility to have multiple stake administrators. Certainly the STS needs a login, but there may be other stake personnel who could also be helpful (the stake clerk, the stake financial clerk, or in some stakes an assistant STS). This also lets us attach a username to each Out-of-Unit Administrator user account (with the Stake Administrator implementation, the name "Stake Administrator" was forced).
Keep in mind that the revised instructions say that there can only be two Out-of-Unit Administrators. Unless this has changed, some coordination with the STS is in order to determine who that 2nd person will be.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”