New printer added now checks wont print

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
TerryLittlewood

New printer added now checks wont print

Post by TerryLittlewood »

We've recently added a new printer that is accessed via internet. All reports print fine from MLS except for when we try to print a check. When a check is printed it sends the postscript data which prints out as jibberish on the checks and uses a lot of paper if not shut off quickly.
What is different in the way MLS prints checks than the way it prints all other reports?
The printer we are using is a Xerox Phaser 3635MFP.
It is connected to a router thru a Lantronix xPrint server to allow printed from wireless devices (i.e. iOS devices). Everything has been working properly until the check printing fiasco. Even after that, the other MLS printing works fine. Is there something unique about checks?
aclawson

Re: New printer added now checks wont print

Post by aclawson »

Drivers up to date on the PC and firmware up to date on the printer?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Clearly the job is reaching the printer, but the printer doesn't understand it.

You might check and see if the printer itself is configured correctly.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
TerryLittlewood

All of the reports we've tried so far from MLS work fine. Its just when it prints checks that it does not work. Is there a system requirements for MLS (and the finance portion) that defines what type of printer is required? I have the option of loading either a PS driver or a PCL. Would that make a difference printing checks?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

TerryLittlewood wrote:I have the option of loading either a PS driver or a PCL. Would that make a difference printing checks?
It might. I tend to favor PCL. So if you only loaded the PS, you might try that.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

TerryLittlewood wrote:I have the option of loading either a PS driver or a PCL. Would that make a difference printing checks?
When MLS first came out, PCL was required for the printer. It would not address PostScript. Loading the PCL drivers may solve your problem.
TerryLittlewood

Reloaded printer drivers using only the PCL drivers (not the PS drivers) and things seem to be working properly now. Thank you for your help.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”