Best way to keep contact info confidential

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

scion wrote:Unlisted or private tags should be on reports printed for the general members.
I respectfully disagree. If a member does not wish his/her information made available to the general Ward membership, then we MUST respect that. (This was the main reason for suggesting MLS have some sort of "tag" system in the first place.) In addition, if their number is unlisted in the public phone books, then we must obtain their permission before publishing it in any kind of public Ward list.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

Mikerowaved wrote:I respectfully disagree. If a member does not wish his/her information made available to the general Ward membership, then we MUST respect that. In addition, if their number is unlisted in the public phone books, then we must obtain their permission before publishing it in any kind of public Ward list.
I can definitely see and understand (and even implement) this train of thought without much hesitation. But I keep thinking about how sometimes contact info is required and must be obtained. Church membership really is voluntary, and so it's not that outlandish for the Church to require that information to be collected.

Having said that, I still agree there is a case to be made for someone to request that their information not be made public. I think we can all agree that MLS doesn't have this functionality built-in, like LUWS does.
scion-p40

Post by scion-p40 »

Mikerowaved wrote:I respectfully disagree. If a member does not wish his/her information made available to the general Ward membership, then we MUST respect that. (This was the main reason for suggesting MLS have some sort of "tag" system in the first place.) In addition, if their number is unlisted in the public phone books, then we must obtain their permission before publishing it in any kind of public Ward list.
I'm not saying that the contact information be printed, but rather that MLS should have options that can be checked, such as unlisted. "Unlisted" would print on the general ward list. However, if the person opted to provide a number to the bishop, it could be printed on a run for the bishop. (Similar to printing or not printing LDS ordinances on family group sheets, or using privacy brackets for confidential information that is rarely printed.)
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

mkmurray wrote: I think we can all agree that MLS doesn't have this functionality built-in, like LUWS does.
I gave up on printing a ward directory from MLS for general distribution because it changes too frequently. I still print them out individually when requested, or under special circumstances. But generally I tell the members to get ward directory information on their own from the LUWS instead.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”