Official Tax Summary Statement format

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
RossEvans

Re: Official Tax Summary Statement format

Post by RossEvans »

jdlessley wrote:Nice discussion. But I don't think anyone answered or addresses the OP question:
rpyne wrote:Is there some special reason that the annual tax statements, both in MLS and the new combined ones sent to us from Church Headquarters, have not or cannot be formatted for use with a window envelope?
I have taken a look at the tax statements MLS prints. There is no donor address printed on them. So my guess is that rpyne is asking why there is no address for the donor on the statement so that a windowed envelope can be used. The only address on the statement is the one for Church headquarters. The information for a donor is in this format:

Annual Charitable Cash Contributions
Donor(s): [Donor Name]
Spouse: [Spouse Name]
[Unit Name] (Unit Number)

The spouse line is added for those donor records with the "Show spouse on donor record" checked.

We print mailing labels for those tax statements that are not passed out during the Sunday meetings.
That describes the traditional single-unit report, as I recall. Does that also describe the format of the new multiunit report, which most of us haven't seen? I assumed that rpyne must have seen it. The comment I linked to here indicates that the address is on that new statement
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

Now that we have seen the new multiunit statements, they do have the member addresses and they do seem to accommodate folding into a #10 windowed envelope. I have no such envelopes available preprinted, the surprise mailing is time-critical and the number of such move-ins is relatively small. So I will just use some blank #10 windowed envelopes and affix the return addresses and postal endorsement with an ink jet printer.
rpyne

Post by rpyne »

RossEvans wrote:Now that we have seen the new multiunit statements, they do have the member addresses and they do seem to accommodate folding into a #10 windowed envelope. I have no such envelopes available preprinted, the surprise mailing is time-critical and the number of such move-ins is relatively small. So I will just use some blank #10 windowed envelopes and affix the return addresses and postal endorsement with an ink jet printer.
While they can be folded to fit, the address block is slightly high for use with a standard letter folder.

Our ward has about 40% new move-ins each year, so this can become a significant time consumer.

The other thing that would be very helpful would have them be in alphabetical order in the pdf.
rpyne

Post by rpyne »

RossEvans wrote:Actually, since the standard #10 window envelopes provided by the church stationary provider are really designed for such a folded mail piece, I don't understand why they are commonly supplied to units, with no other sizes available. The usual need for window envelopes at the unit level is for checks, for which the #10 window envelopes are ill suited.
My experience is that the Church provided checks printed in MLS fit perfectly in the Church supplied window envelopes.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

rpyne wrote:
RossEvans wrote:Actually, since the standard #10 window envelopes provided by the church stationary provider are really designed for such a folded mail piece, I don't understand why they are commonly supplied to units, with no other sizes available. The usual need for window envelopes at the unit level is for checks, for which the #10 window envelopes are ill suited.
My experience is that the Church provided checks printed in MLS fit perfectly in the Church supplied window envelopes.
This is not a matter of opinion or experience, but of fact. (What may vary with experience is the frequency that the mailing of the #10 checks fail.)

The checks are 3 1/2 X 8 1/2 inches. The #10 envelopes are 4 1/8 X 9 1/2 inches. So there is more than a half inch of vertical slop inside the envelope, and the folded check slips around easily because of there is almost an inch of play from side to side.

When the MLS printer is aligned perfectly with the check form, and the folded check stub sits at the bottom inside the envelope, the top printed line does appear at the top of the window. But with jostling during postal handling, the checks can slide up vertically so that one or more address lines are no longer visible within the window.

If you want to see an envelope where "checks printed in MLS fit perfectly," try a 3 5/8 X 8 5/8 inch, single-window envelope.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”