How to proceed after getting database error

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
sj3vans

How to proceed after getting database error

Postby sj3vans » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:56 pm

We've been running fine when this week our computer started getting the following error after running almost any financial report:

"There was an error while reading the database" with a sad face next to it. I thought for a moment that is was actually a mirror since I'm sure that's what my face looked like! We're running Windows 7 with MLS 3.5.1_21247

I tried a fresh install of MLS, but we could not log in as there were no users listed at all when we clicked on the magnifying glass. I gather that uninstalling doesn't actually uninstall everything, namely the Programdata/LDS Church folder. I was able to restore the users using a trick I found in another thread:

https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Lost_user_names_(MLS)

But what is the procedure for fixing the database errors? Should I try importing a backup? Should I uninstall MLS again and manually delete the Programdata/LDS Church folder? Should I request a "Unit refresh data"? What is the best way to proceed?

jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: How to proceed after getting database error

Postby jdlessley » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:45 am

Contact LUS.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the LDS.org Help Center page or the LDSTech wiki?

sj3vans

Postby sj3vans » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:47 am

Yes, tried that but alas, the MLS folks are closed on Sunday. I'll call them later this morning.

aclawson

Postby aclawson » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:44 pm

What was your answer to this? So far LUS has been unable to provide me with a solution. Something is horribly, horribly wrong with MLS - am I going to have to reimage the machine from scratch? Reinstalling MLS - even using the clean install - does not solve the problem.

Is there at least a log file somewhere that will tell me what the specific point of failure is?

lajackson
Community Moderators

Postby lajackson » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:54 pm

aclawson wrote:What was your answer to this? So far LUS has been unable to provide me with a solution.

The usual solution for a database error is for the developers take a copy of your database, fix it, and then push it back to you. In the meantime (sometimes a few days), you do not do anything in MLS.

If reinstalling MLS did not work, and you have a true database problem, wiping the machine and reinstalling the OS will not fix it, either.

jdlessley
Community Moderators

Postby jdlessley » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:26 pm

aclawson wrote:Something is horribly, horribly wrong with MLS - am I going to have to reimage the machine from scratch?

From your other post it sounds like the problem with your MLS is really a problem created by a hard drive problem.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the LDS.org Help Center page or the LDSTech wiki?

aclawson

Postby aclawson » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:33 pm

Quite plausibly. Newer system though (only a couple of months), very unusual - though not unheard of - for a drive to fail like that. And certainly not application specific like this.

Hmmmm.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”