Out-of-unit member "not a valid candidate"

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Out-of-unit member "not a valid candidate"

Post by russellhltn »

sbradshaw wrote:If it is a matter of policy, I'd like to know what you'd suggest we do;
It appears to be policy. I understand what you are trying to do. I have been in singles wards where the bishopric wives provide an important role in the ward. Maybe not in a formal calling, but in being there with helpful advice.

But the handbook is clear. I'd suggest counseling with the Stake President. He can ask the Area Authority if he has any questions. That's the route things have to go to get anything changed.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
diegohall

Post by diegohall »

I'm having the same issue of not being able to add an "out of unit member" but to the position of Relief Society Pianist (which IS a standard calling in the system). I can see her as a member of the Relief Society but I can't add her through either the Relief Society Callings page or through the "Members Without Callings" page. I'm guessing it's a bug. :confused:
diegohall

Post by diegohall »

I should have said that in the Relief Society Organization page I couldn't even see her name as a candidate for the position. In the "Members without Callings" I could select the position for her, but it gave the "not a valid candidate" message. I also don't have her assigned to any other calling. Humorous aside: the system showed her as a possible selection when I was assigning her husband as Ward Mission Leader.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

diegohall wrote:I should have said that in the Relief Society Organization page I couldn't even see her name as a candidate for the position. In the "Members without Callings" I could select the position for her, but it gave the "not a valid candidate" message. I also don't have her assigned to any other calling. Humorous aside: the system showed her as a possible selection when I was assigning her husband as Ward Mission Leader.
Is it possible that when her Out of Unit membership record was added, that she was accidentally input as a male? That might explain why she can't be in RS and why she would be a candidate for WML.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

diegohall wrote:I'm having the same issue of not being able to add an "out of unit member" but to the position of Relief Society Pianist (which IS a standard calling in the system). I can see her as a member of the Relief Society but I can't add her through either the Relief Society Callings page or through the "Members Without Callings" page. I'm guessing it's a bug.
Welcome to the Forum, diegohall!
I saw the same action just today while trying to call an "out of unit member" to the position of RS president of a dependent care branch. None of the "out of unit members" who serve in this branch would show up as a valid candidate. I would call it an MLS bug, because in this special case, branch members have never served in the RS presidency...

I'm not sure if this is related to the original post for a YSA issue, but it seems related. Time to move the issue to the help desk!
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

kisaac wrote:
diegohall wrote:I'm having the same issue of not being able to add an "out of unit member" .... I'm guessing it's a bug.
I saw the same action just today while trying to call an "out of unit member" to the position of RS president of a dependent care branch. None of the "out of unit members" who serve in this branch would show up as a valid candidate. I would call it an MLS bug, because in this special case, branch members have never served in the RS presidency...

I'm not sure if this is related to the original post for a YSA issue, but it seems related. Time to move the issue to the help desk!
russellhltn wrote:I would suggest calling Local Unit Support. They might be able to tell you if this is bug or policy.
This was the correct action!

UPDATE from the good folks at GSC LUS help desk.
They said my issue is a known issue (bug) affecting "out-of-unit" members. A not to difficult work-around is to create a "custom" position in the organization temporarily. For example, make a custom position of RStemp. Call the "Out of unit member" to that custom position. Note that my difficulty wouldn't allow calls to a standard position.

Then use organizations/reports and tools/custom positions review and choose "find nearest match" and "show all" to display all the organizations positions, and choose the standard position needed and move him/her to that position with the tool. Hope I didn't omit any steps, but I'm not sitting at an MLS to check it....
If you are getting the "not a valid candidate" with a Out-of-unit member, it's worth a try. He also said MLS 3.6.0 is on it's way, which may fix it, but he didn't know.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

kisaac wrote:Then use organizations/reports and tools/custom positions review and choose "find nearest match" and "show all" to display all the organizations positions, and choose the standard position needed and move him/her to that position with the tool.
Note: The Custom Positions Review tool is only available to those MLS users with administrator rights.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”