MLS Restore

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
ralitaco

MLS Restore

Post by ralitaco »

Long story short, I was working with MLS support from SLC and they had me uninstall/reinstall MLS. After the reinstall, the sister from support had me restore a backup from December. She told me she would send a file to the computer to restore the data that was entered b/n the backup file and today. I did multiple send/receives, but MLS still wants to do year end. I don't want to do that because I think it will mess things up.

I think I have 3 options and was wondering what you guys think:
1. just wait for the files to transmit
2. Since the December file did NOT fix my original issue, I was thinking I could just restore the backup I made before I did the uninstall. I started the process, but got a message saying there were items missing from the restore file.
3. do a unit refresh

Thanks as always.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: MLS Restore

Post by aebrown »

ralitaco wrote:...MLS still wants to do year end. I don't want to do that because I think it will mess things up.
What would it mess up? In my experience, clerks are far more concerned about the process of closing out the fiscal year than they should be. The biggest thing it does is remove the old data (from 2009 for the US's 3-year retention period), and it sets up some tithing settlement files. But it's really not a big deal. You can still enter 2012 donation batches for donations that were made in 2012 even after you close out 2012. In short, there's really nothing to worry about in this particular regard. You certainly can't enter any 2013 donation batches until you do.
ralitaco

Post by ralitaco »

Not sure what it would mess up. I am thinking that if I make any changes to the db, when I transmit, those changes will go to SLC and I will lose all the data between the date of the backup and today.
I am really leaning towards restoring the file to the one I did before the uninstall...the December one just really seems like the wrong choice.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Personally, I'd go with Option 4: Get back in contact with Local Unit Support. Since they're already working with you, I wouldn't want you to do something that will mess up their plan.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

ralitaco wrote:Not sure what it would mess up. I am thinking that if I make any changes to the db, when I transmit, those changes will go to SLC and I will lose all the data between the date of the backup and today.
Not necessarily. Any donation batches or calling or membership changes that were transmitted in the time since that December backup was made are at CHQ. And CHQ has the ability to send those changes back to your MLS.

But since you were having difficulty with that procedure recommended by CHQ, I'd echo RussellHltn's advice and recommend that you get back in touch with Local Unit Support, rather than trying to solve this on your own.
ralitaco

Post by ralitaco »

Thank you both. I think that is what I will do tomorrow.
The bad part about this is that the original issue was that I didn't have the right user privileges to see the Custom Calling review.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

ralitaco wrote:The bad part about this is that the original issue was that I didn't have the right user privileges to see the Custom Calling review.
If I remember past threads correctly, you may need MLS admin rights to use that. I'm afraid to ask - was the problem that you couldn't be made a admin, or did someone decide that was a malfunction and send you on a goose chase?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ralitaco

Post by ralitaco »

The original issue is that there are 3 custom positions from before the 3.5 upgrade showing up in CDOL under Other Callings but not in MLS. Since they are in CDOL, they are also showing up in LDS tools, etc. and these brethren have been released but still get contacted because it appears they are still in those callings.
After going around and around with support since November, doing multiple unit refreshes, etc., one of the techs there figured out that if I ran the Custom Calling Review I could assign them standard callings and then clear them out.
That started a new chain of events as to why I didn't have the link for the custom calling review which led to the re-installing, uninstalling of MLS. The answer ultimately being that I didn't have Admin rights.
So I know how to fix my original problem but before I can do that, I need to fix my new problem first and get all my data back to the point it was yesterday before installing the backup data from December.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

ralitaco wrote:one of the techs there figured out that if I ran the Custom Calling Review I could assign them standard callings and then clear them out.
I know you have bigger issues to deal with right now, but that idea makes no sense. You're talking about callings that appear in CDOL but aren't in MLS. If they're not in MLS, there's no way that the Custom Calling Review tool will see them and be able to do anything at all with them. That sounds like a wild goose chase to me. Having access to the CCR tool is a good thing anyway, but it won't help you with your current issue.
ralitaco

Post by ralitaco »

Ae, I don't know how or why, but those 3 callings were listed in the CCR, but nowhere else in the Organizations. They were originally custom callings in a custom group and I guess technically they were in MLS just not under any organization.
After I restored the most recent backup and got the finances opened up, I went into the CCR and changed them to standard callings. I was then able to delete them, did a Send/Receive and about 5 minutes later CDOL and LDS tools no longer showed those callings.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”