Sealing Cancelation

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
jeremygreer

Sealing Cancelation

Postby jeremygreer » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:37 pm

Who is responsible for recording temple sealing cancelations?

A member in my ward has received a letter from the church approving the cancellation, but MLS still shows him sealed to spouse. This is not recent, so I don't believe it is due to the MLS-CDOL quarrel.

lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Sealing Cancelation

Postby lajackson » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:50 am

jeremygreer wrote:Who is responsible for recording temple sealing cancelations?

The Office of the First Presidency will take care of it. It does take some time.

I do not know if they have the Temple Department do it, or if they go directly to confidential records in the Membership Department, but they will take care of it. There is nothing you can do at the local level. I would give it at least three months (90 days) before I did any followup.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:11 pm

If it's been longer then 3 months, then I'd say a call to Local Unit Support or sending a Special Request via MLS is in order.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

gregwanderson

Postby gregwanderson » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:59 pm

Handbook 1 goes into detail about church policies on sealing cancellations and clearances. There is a difference between a "cancellation" and a "clearance" received from the First Presidency. I point this out not to be picky but only because if you're tracking down and correcting a problem it helps to have very specific terms (because the policy is very specific). So, while the man's second sealing may not be recorded yet, it seems to me that you're not going to see a "cancellation" of the original sealing anyway... just an eventual update to show the more recent sealing.

(Of course, others may have experience in seeing these developments, which would be more accurate than what I'm trying to say.)

lajackson
Community Moderators

Postby lajackson » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:30 pm

jeremygreer wrote:Who is responsible for recording temple sealing cancelations?

A member in my ward has received a letter from the church approving the cancellation, but MLS still shows him sealed to spouse. This is not recent, so I don't believe it is due to the MLS-CDOL quarrel.

I was not careful in reading your post and simply answered the question that was asked, instead of responding to what mrrad has noticed.

A brother does not receive a cancellation of sealing. Only a sister receives a sealing cancellation. As mrrad has mentioned, the brother may have received a sealing clearance from the First Presidency. This allows him to be sealed to another sister, but it does not cancel his previous sealing.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:38 pm

lajackson wrote:A brother does not receive a cancellation of sealing. Only a sister receives a sealing cancellation.

I think what you mean to say, is if a brother is getting re-sealed, he doesn't need to have his sealing canceled. But a sister does have to have a cancellation.

Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

lajackson
Community Moderators

Postby lajackson » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:47 pm

russellhltn wrote:
lajackson wrote:A brother does not receive a cancellation of sealing. Only a sister receives a sealing cancellation.

I think what you mean to say, is if a brother is getting re-sealed, he doesn't need to have his sealing canceled. But a sister does have to have a cancellation.

What you say is correct, but it is still different from what I intended to say. I think we are trying to help jeremygreen figure out why a sealing has not been removed from a membership record when he thought it would be. If things are as he said, the sealing will not be removed, because the brother did not receive a cancellation of sealing. We are surmising that he received clearance from the First Presidency to be sealed again, which may or may not be the case.

gregwanderson

Postby gregwanderson » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:48 pm

I didn't know how much of what was in the Handbook I was allowed to paraphrase here in this forum. But reviewing the relevant section could be helpful to those who have access. It is a bit touchy because it's a policy where men and women are treated differently. As for this specific situation (from the original post) it is unclear whether a new sealing has taken place yet, despite permission having already been granted by the First Presidency. If the new sealing hasn't happened yet then it seems appropriate that the membership record still shows the sealing to a previous spouse. If the ex-wife has applied for a cancellation because she is the one getting married again (but the husband is not planning to be married again) then... I don't know how that is reflected on his membership record.

jeremygreer

Postby jeremygreer » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:59 pm

According to the member it was a cancellation, NOT a clearance.

Or are you saying that men are never granted cancellations, only clearances.
I currently have a help request in with membership help, I'll see what they can find.

The new sealing has taken place. Many years ago.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:09 pm

jeremygreer wrote:According to the member it was a cancellation, NOT a clearance.

Or are you saying that men are never granted cancellations, only clearances.

I wouldn't say "never", but canceling would leave the former wife without a saving ordnance and presumably no prospects to have it done again. And from a gospel standpoint, it's not necessary to have a cancellation for him to be sealed to another wife. So I'd say that a cancellation would not be the norm in this situation.

OTOH, if the wife was also engaged, then I could see it being a cancellation as it would be necessary for her to be sealed to another man.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”