MLS callings updates to lds.org temporarily not available

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
genman

Re: MLS callings updates to lds.org temporarily not availabl

Post by genman »

engineereeyore wrote:the YW and Primary presidencies still are not showing up and it has been almost two months. Is there any way to specifically isolate exactly what is happening and whether this is an issue on our side or an issue on the Church's servers?
The issue is on the Church's servers and the architecture for how changes are sent from MLS to the servers. Sometimes the change (i.e. add or delete) is missed for a variety of reasons, resulting in missing or duplicate or orphaned callings in the server database. The workaround to this problem is on your side.

As JonesRK said, the way to get the YW and Primary presidencies to show up on the church server at this point is to re-send it. The only way to resend it is to trick MLS into thinking that you changed something about the calling. So, change the set apart flag for each of these callings, then save it, then change the flag back, then press Send/Receive changes. That should re-send those callings from MLS to the server again. That should cause them to show up at LDS.org within 24 hours.
boatingrtb

Post by boatingrtb »

We have the same problem, only there are callings we deleted in MLS such as Asst Stake Exec Sec & Asst Stake Clerk last October. There is no longer a person or those callings in MLS to update to try & trigger it to delete on CDOL.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

boatingrtb wrote:We have the same problem, only there are callings we deleted in MLS such as Asst Stake Exec Sec & Asst Stake Clerk last October. There is no longer a person or those callings in MLS to update to try & trigger it to delete on CDOL.
Have you done a Unit Data Refresh recently (within the past week) to get those CDOL positions pulled back into MLS so you can delete them?
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
engineereeyore

Post by engineereeyore »

genman wrote:As JonesRK said, the way to get the YW and Primary presidencies to show up on the church server at this point is to re-send it. The only way to resend it is to trick MLS into thinking that you changed something about the calling. So, change the set apart flag for each of these callings, then save it, then change the flag back, then press Send/Receive changes. That should re-send those callings from MLS to the server again. That should cause them to show up at LDS.org within 24 hours.
I'll give that a try tonight and see what happens. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the info!
boatingrtb

Post by boatingrtb »

jdlessley wrote:
boatingrtb wrote:We have the same problem, only there are callings we deleted in MLS such as Asst Stake Exec Sec & Asst Stake Clerk last October. There is no longer a person or those callings in MLS to update to try & trigger it to delete on CDOL.
Have you done a Unit Data Refresh recently (within the past week) to get those CDOL positions pulled back into MLS so you can delete them?
I'm fairly new and have not heard of this. I'll give it a try. Thx

I did delete some positions last night that have not shown up deleted on CDOL as of a few moments ago, so I'm a little skeptical that a unit data refresh to pull the records back, redelete them in MLS to trigger a CDOL update, will really work.
genman

Post by genman »

boatingrtb wrote:I did delete some positions last night that have not shown up deleted on CDOL as of a few moments ago, so I'm a little skeptical that a unit data refresh to pull the records back, redelete them in MLS to trigger a CDOL update, will really work.
It will work. Be sure to print out a Callings By Organization report for future reference before doing anything. It is tedious to do it right, but I'm sure it will work when you do the Unit Data Refresh. Note: to actually do the Unit Data Refresh you have to do File > Request Unit Data Refresh; then Send/Receive; then wait 4-24 hours; then Send/Receive again. At that point, delete ALL of the callings of the type that were having the problem in CDOL. Then do a Send/Receive. That will cause them to show up as deleted at CDOL within a few hours.
genman

Post by genman »

boatingrtb wrote:I did delete some positions last night that have not shown up deleted on CDOL as of a few moments ago
By the way, sounds like you haven't waited 24 hours yet. I would wait 24 hours before determining that changes didn't show up. If after then they still have not shown up, then do the Unit Data Refresh steps. Note that Unit Data Refresh will clobber any "out of unit" callings you have defined. And I think it might also undo any merged or split classes you have defined. So after you resolve the deleting of the orphaned callings in CDOL and done a Send/Receive, then you will need to get the MLS data back to the way it should be, then press Send/Receive again. If all of this is confusing, I feel your pain.
genman

Post by genman »

genman wrote:I would wait 24 hours before determining that changes didn't show up.
Also, may need to refresh your browser (e.g. press F5 key) and/or exit from lds.org and close your browser then open it up and sign-in to lds.org again. If you don't refresh, that may be one reason why you don't see updated information that is at CDOL. When I did the unit data refresh and then deleted all of the callings, I believe that I refreshed, exited, and signed back in again in order to see the change just a few minutes after I pressed Send/Receive. They say it could take hours, but it may also take only minutes if there is not much else going on at the time and if you refresh your browser.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

boatingrtb wrote:I did delete some positions last night that have not shown up deleted on CDOL as of a few moments ago, so I'm a little skeptical that a unit data refresh to pull the records back, redelete them in MLS to trigger a CDOL update, will really work.
I see a delete for one High Councilor and in that same file there were 3 new positions which all showed up. Should there have been more deletes? If so were they done after the send/receive?

Edit: I looked a littler closer at the file and I'm wondering if the deletes that you don't see were for people you removed, but didn't remove the position?
boatingrtb

Post by boatingrtb »

JonesRK wrote:
I see a delete for one High Councilor and in that same file there were 3 new positions which all showed up. Should there have been more deletes? If so were they done after the send/receive?

Edit: I looked a littler closer at the file and I'm wondering if the deletes that you don't see were for people you removed, but didn't remove the position?
I'm the brand new stake clerk & have never been in a clerk postion before, except for asst stk clerk for the past few months, so this is all brand new to me. I'll double check tonight regarding removal of the position(s). Thank you so much for the quick & wonderful, help & support!!

Edit: Yes, I do recall just changing the name in some of the postions & not deleting the position & re-adding the postion with a new name. Is the correct procedure to do a "remove" & "add" instead of an "edit" and change the name?

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”