Sunday School Class Membership Criteria

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
jdunlop

Sunday School Class Membership Criteria

Post by jdunlop »

In previous versions of MLS, you could modify the "membership critieria" for classes based on ages, gender, etc. In MLS 3.5.1, I'm not seeing where the criteria can be changed, nor am I seeing any information in the Help PDF. I am able to manually add members that should be in each class, however, without the ability to have it based automatically by age, it's going to be fairly busy to keep track of who should be in certain classes.

Any ideas?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jdunlop wrote:Any ideas?

Starting with MLS 3.5, the custom class criteria are no longer available. But the built-in classes still use ages to determine who is in which class. MLS 3.5 does have the ability to merge or split built-in classes. But you can't just create a new class from scratch with age or sex criteria.

What specifically are you trying to accomplish that can't be done with the built-in classes (possibly merged or split)?
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

With MLS 3.5 the ability to create custom classes in Primary and Sunday School was removed. Similarly, all custom classes were removed, and those classes and class members were reset to the standard classes. To make changes to standard classes and class member assignments, you can split or merge the classes as needed.Additionally all classes now have default rules that cannot be changed.

Classes that are split will retain the same membership rules of the parent class. A class merged from two standard classes will combine the rules from the parent classes.
jdunlop wrote:I am able to manually add members that should be in each class, however, without the ability to have it based automatically by age, it's going to be fairly busy to keep track of who should be in certain classes.
Primary and Sunday School classes have standardized membership rules that align with the Handbook. Age is a membership rule for all the standardized classes. For example, membership in Gospel Doctrine is age 19 or older. If an 18-year-old needs to be in Gospel Doctrine you will have to manually move that person.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jdunlop

Re: Sunday School Class Membership Criteria

Post by jdunlop »

Thanks @aebrown and @jdlessley for repying. I don't think I asked the initial question very well so I'll try again. The issue we're having is that the class member lists aren't auto-populating - what do we need to do on our end to make that happen? As a temporary fix, I have manually populated the classes but realize that is not an ideal situation...
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Why someone is not in a class when you think they should may not be an issue with class membership rules. Every member should be in a class somewhere. Find out where they are in addition to where they are not. Finding what class they are in will give some clues as to why they are not in the expected class. Note that nonmembers (those without a valid MRN or with a temporary record) will not be included in any class automatically. They have to be entered manually. There could also be a problem with a membership record such as an incorrect birth date.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jdunlop

Post by jdunlop »

jdlessley wrote:Why someone is not in a class when you think they should may not be an issue with class membership rules. Every member should be in a class somewhere. Find out where they are in addition to where they are not. Finding what class they are in will give some clues as to why they are not in the expected class. Note that nonmembers (those without a valid MRN or with a temporary record) will not be included in any class automatically. They have to be entered manually. There could also be a problem with a membership record such as an incorrect birth date.
Understood. However, none of the class lists are populating, so it doesn't seem to be an issue with specific members but a global issue rather.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

That sounds like a local MLS issue rather than a general MLS issue.

Have you tried clicking "Reset Classes"? That is done by organization rather than by class. I know this is a drastic measure and can undo all the work you have done to get classes populated. You could print to PDF all the classes for the organization before resetting the classes to aide in recovering class membership if it doesn't work.

Another thing I would try is download a full copy of the MLS installer and install it over the top of the existing MLS program. I would try this before resetting classes because it may repair the underlying cause of the problem.

If neither of these recommendations work I suggest contacting LUS. For this issue you may need to go through your stake clerk since level two or even level three support may be needed.
JD Lessley

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”