Membership Audit Glitch

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

H. Forth wrote:Melchizedek Priesthood conferred date should not change, no matter what other offices
are received after Elder. I've been at this since 1993 and don't remember ever seeing
an option to change MP conferred date.

Once it's recorded, then it should have remained unchanged. :confused:
Although it appears the problem is that an Elder ordination date isn't found at all.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

RussellHltn wrote:I think ordination to Bishop is also a specific ordination (beyond being a HP).
Yes. Bishop is an office in the Aaronic Priesthood.
jbh001 wrote:I checked some former bishops, and their records in MLS do not indicate this ordination. ... if someone serves as bishop more than once, how would this be recorded and displayed?
Ordination to the office of a bishop is recorded at CHQ and does not appear on membership records at the local unit level. After the stake president receives permission from the First Presidency to make the change, he fills out the directory form and sends it back to CHQ. The form has a place to show the date the bishop was sustained, and whether or not he was ordained and set apart (first time serving) or was just set apart (second time).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:Yes. Bishop is an office in the Aaronic Priesthood.
Dang. I should have gotten that one. :o
lajackson wrote:After the stake president receives permission from the First Presidency to make the change, he fills out the directory form and sends it back to CHQ. The form has a place to show the date the bishop was sustained, and whether or not he was ordained and set apart (first time serving) or was just set apart (second time).
Ah, something else reduced and simplified out of the local membership.
jenkinsja-p40

Post by jenkinsja-p40 »

According to my understanding, CMIS has always tracked all ordinations, and MLS gets all its membership inforrmation from CMIS. If, then, you are missing the Elder ordination for a member, it is possible that requesting a unit refresh from CMIS may solve the problem. If requesting a unit refresh fails to bring the missing ordination down, then the problem lies with the individual's member record, requiring a correction to be made in CMIS to the record.

As has been mentioned, MLS is functioning properly here, by pointing out a data inconsistency in the membership record. This is expected, so blame should not be placed on MLS. It is possible if the unit refresh does solve the problem, that the data error was introduced while you were using an older and less reliable version of MLS. This can be prevented in the future by always keeping your version of MLS up to date. I am sure that the folks working on MLS keep in close communication with the bretheren so that the latest version of MLS will always reflect current policy as accurately as possible. The same cannot be said for the older versions of MLS, which become archaic as policies, reports, and those serving in leadership change.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”