Out of Unit Bishop

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
chris_hazeldine
Member
Posts: 108
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:22 pm

Out of Unit Bishop

Postby chris_hazeldine » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:07 am

Hi,

We have just sustained in the Stake an Out of Unit Bishop - I was wondering if anyone has experience with what the correct procedure is of updating MLS so that I ensure we can get the new Bishop up and running asap. We have changed out a number of Bishops recently so I am familiar with the process, but the Out of Unit aspect on this one is a curve ball :-)

Steps followed:

1. Stake MLS updated for New Ward Leader. Any member of the stake can be selected there so no issue.
2. Ward MLS - no visibility to anyone outside of the unit so could only update the Bishopric Counsellors.

In the Help file it says that we should add an Out of Unit member to the Ward MLS then the callings can be assigned however I didn't want to duplicate the effort as this calling is handled by Area Office as opposed to normal Ward Callings.

Does anyone know if we need to follow this Out of Unit membership record creation step? or does the Area MSR team sort that out?

Thanks for any assistance provided.

Chris

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14685
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:52 am

chris_hazeldine wrote:In the Help file it says that we should add an Out of Unit member to the Ward MLS then the callings can be assigned however I didn't want to duplicate the effort as this calling is handled by Area Office as opposed to normal Ward Callings.

Does anyone know if we need to follow this Out of Unit membership record creation step? or does the Area MSR team sort that out?


Since you filled out the LUCR in Stake MLS, the new bishop will appear in CDOL once the Area Office has finished processing that request. But since there is no record in Ward MLS for the bishop (his membership record continues to be in his home ward), Ward MLS can't connect that calling to a person. And the Area Office can't create an Out of Unit member record in a ward's MLS -- that's something that can only be done in MLS. So it is indeed important to create an Out of Unit membership record in the ward so that the calling in CDOL can be sent down to the ward and connected to the OOU record.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

chris_hazeldine
Member
Posts: 108
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:22 pm

Postby chris_hazeldine » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:48 am

Perfect, thank you for your prompt reply. Will have the Ward Clerk sort this out on Tuesday.

I gather that this will have no effect on the new Bishop's access to online tools etc. Which is great. Seems that the only issue would relate to the new Bishop not being able to authorise a tithing batch??

Again thank you for the reply.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20732
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:59 am

chris_hazeldine wrote:Seems that the only issue would relate to the new Bishop not being able to authorise a tithing batch??


That would be rights within MLS. You need to set him up as a user. And you should associate him with his Out of Unit record and not be using the 2 Out of Unit Administrator slots.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee
Posts: 1454
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:12 am
Location: Farmington, UT, USA

Postby jonesrk » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:09 pm

chris_hazeldine wrote:I gather that this will have no effect on the new Bishop's access to online tools etc.

Once he is in CDOL that is what will drive the rights to the online tools. You can't see what the changes are, but if you look at that ward in CDOL you can see that there are unpublished changes (upper right). That usually only happens for bishop changes or parent unit changes.
Ryan Jones
CDOL Developer
Stake Technology Specialist - Software / Stake Assistant Clerk
Former Ward Clerk

jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee
Posts: 1454
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:12 am
Location: Farmington, UT, USA

Postby jonesrk » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:12 pm

aebrown wrote: And the Area Office can't create an Out of Unit member record in a ward's MLS -- that's something that can only be done in MLS. So it is indeed important to create an Out of Unit membership record in the ward so that the calling in CDOL can be sent down to the ward and connected to the OOU record.

I think that MLS does create an OOU record when a position comes down and it doesn't have a membership record for that person.
Ryan Jones

CDOL Developer

Stake Technology Specialist - Software / Stake Assistant Clerk

Former Ward Clerk


Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest