sorting by position doesn't seem to completely sort things

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
sasgrw

Post by sasgrw »

aebrown wrote:Indeed. Calling into question whether custom orders are allowed :-) (quotes added).

Touche. I wish I could say I did that on purpose.
aebrown wrote:So you don't have any custom callings that need to be grouped
Correct.
aebrown wrote:I imagine that your frustration was multiplied by the fact that you had not kept the position orders up to date, so you had to do a lot of work to set the order for many custom callings.
If that's a "royal" you, then that's correct. I inherited the current setup. The previous administration spent years getting to this point and now I'm trying to fix it in a short amount of time. I might need a second term to finish all the work.
aebrown wrote:Hmm. I guess you've never clicked on a table that contains numeric data or dates
My post was getting too long and I was getting tired of typing alphabetic or numeric or chronological with regards to sorting so I just said alphabetical and assumed the proper order for dates and numbers.

For me, the calling order doesn't fit into that nice category of logical dates but I can see how it might be useful for some people. Unfortunately, the software is assuming the calling order is useful for everyone instead of making it an option.

I'm not expecting MLS to change or fix this problem but I succeeded in understanding why it's not "working".

I would LOVE to be involved with the usability tests for future MLS versions. I got on the beta list for 3.5 right at the end so I didn't have a chance to comment. But that's assuming beta testers can comment on the UI and not just report bugs.
sasgrw

Post by sasgrw »

If you look at https://tech.lds.org/wiki/index.php/MLS ... uggestions, and search for 'sort by name', you'll see a suggestion for
Add a "Sort by Name" button to the "Select Calling Row Order" popup. 10 Feb 2010
The 'Select Calling Row Order' popup is the 'change calling order' dialog that we've been discussing. So a feature request to do what I was hoping the sort would do has been in the request queue for almost 3 years.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

sasgrw wrote:The 'Select Calling Row Order' popup is the 'change calling order' dialog that we've been discussing. So a feature request to do what I was hoping the sort would do has been in the request queue for almost 3 years.

And that gives you some hint as to what priority the MLS team has given to that suggestion.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”