Need easier way to "mass update" data in MLS

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
darthwader-p40

Need easier way to "mass update" data in MLS

Post by darthwader-p40 »

Inside Utah, there will be a new area code introduced within the next year. This will introduce 10-digit dialing for the areas. It made me start thinking about the data that is in MLS within our ward and wards within our stake... There are several of the telephone number entries that are not a full 10-digit number. Right now I could say that everyone has the original area code, so only 7 digit is okay... But when they start introducing the new area code numbers - it will be imperative to have and know the full 10-digit numbers!

I was hoping to have some way of mass-updating the records in MLS to bring consistency to the data... Almost like being able to put the data into a spreadsheet format for editing. Yes, I know I can export the data and get into a format like this -but I want to be able to edit it and have the changes reflected in MLS.

There are several other fields that would benefit from a editing mode like this... For instance, I sometimes see the city field spelled in slightly different ways and mixed cases.

Does anyone out there have any quick ways or suggestions for updating a lot of data like this? Short of opening each member record and updating each individual record at a time?
Piliin ang tama... (CTR in Pilipino)
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

I've just used copy-and-paste to do this. Specifically, for the city name, I'll fix the spelling on one record, highlight it (ctrl+a), copy it (ctrl+c), then go through each of the remaining (household) records and paste it (ctrl+v) over the top of the city.

Once you have selected the Address pane, you can use the arrows on either side of the magnifying glass icon to quickly scroll to the next (or previous) record.Image

I have used a similar process to pre-pend the area code to 7-digit phone numbers.

Yes it is tedious, but once it is done, it only needs to be done once (unless you have a rogue assistant clerk). :rolleyes:
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

AddressEdit2.jpg
(22.53 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
(Just attaching the graphic from my previous post a different way.)

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”