Finance Statement Suggestion

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

Add to this that the church has completely changed the financial processes at the ward level with changing to CUBS, etc. This has introduced some level of chaos in the system, especially when (at least in my experience) training from the stake clerk consists of a 30-minute group discussion during stake conference. Ward clerks are pretty much left to figure it all out on their own.

In our ward, we were additionaly hampered by a bishop who insisted in setting up financial accounts that made sense to him but were very difficult to manage in MLS (it would have been better if we had another level of sub-categories in Other, but MLS doesn't support that).
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

davesudweeks,

Speaking from a Stake Clerk's Perspective with at least 50 hours logged in the CUBS transition, prep, reminders, screencast how-to's, personal 1-on-1 training, there is always a level of 'ward clerks needing to figure it out'. I started as a ward clerk in the exact position you were, except, I never received training even in stake conference. And, as an interesting aside, try and find the directions for who trains a stake clerk, and what training we receive.... it's crickets out there....
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

JohnShaw wrote: And, as an interesting aside, try and find the directions for who trains a stake clerk, and what training we receive.... it's crickets out there....
Stake clerks don't have a person designated to train them (except perhaps their predecessor), but there are abundant training materials that are communicated to stake clerks. We're using one of them right now (this forum), and there's the online training, and the wiki, and some training that appears in Clerk Resources on LDS.org.

Also, the Church is making every effort to make sure that stake clerks get top priority in accessing the Global Service Center.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

aebrown wrote:
JohnShaw wrote:And, as an interesting aside, try and find the directions for who trains a stake clerk, and what training we receive.... it's crickets out there....

Stake clerks don't have a person designated to train them (except perhaps their predecessor), but there are abundant training materials that are communicated to stake clerks. We're using one of them right now (this forum), and there's the online training, and the wiki, and some training that appears in Clerk Resources on LDS.org.
Also your ward clerks can be a great resource.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

JohnShaw wrote:davesudweeks,

Speaking from a Stake Clerk's Perspective with at least 50 hours logged in the CUBS transition, prep, reminders, screencast how-to's, personal 1-on-1 training, there is always a level of 'ward clerks needing to figure it out'. I started as a ward clerk in the exact position you were, except, I never received training even in stake conference. And, as an interesting aside, try and find the directions for who trains a stake clerk, and what training we receive.... it's crickets out there....

I was not trying to complain and I agree that there is a level of "ward clerks needing to figure it out" as you say, but there are a significant number of MLS issues that are met with "did you call the stake clerk?" when you call MLS support. My main point is that often the stake is aware of information/direction that will help the ward clerk be successfull without spending so much time away from his family, alone in the clerk's office, trying to "figure it out." Couple that with the fact that errors can be inadvertantly introduced into MLS that can take years to correct and this can all be prevented by some assistance from the stake.

We are perfectly organized for the results we receive. With a little planning and coordination, we could have much better results.

I guess I am just jealous of the ward clerks in your stake who are blessed to have a stake clerk who takes an active role in helping them be successful. Please consider my comments as a desire to continue open dialog of how we can all continue to work on being better every day.

I wish my stake clerk organized occasional sharing sessions where the ward clerks could get together, roll up their sleeves, and discuss how they were understanding/magnifying their callings with the stake providing direction as needed in the discussion. That would be cool!

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”