Multiple organization assignments...

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
Billbo-p40

Multiple organization assignments...

Post by Billbo-p40 »

I discovered today that the last few new membership records that were received into our ward were assigned to mutiple Sunday School classes. For example the head of household was assigned to five Sunday School classes and three Primary classes. Perhaps this problem became with the latest download revision MLS 2.8.1. I will be calling the Membership department in the morning to inquire as to the cause of this problem.
Has anyone else had this happen?:confused:

Thanks,
Bill,
Desert Palms Ward
Glendale Arizona North Stake
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

There have been similar problems mentioned in other threads. The bad news is I seem to recall one report said fixes to the individual assignments wouldn't stick, that the problematic assignments would come back on their own. Unfortunately, I don't recall having heard a good solution.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Billbo wrote:I discovered today that the last few new membership records that were received into our ward were assigned to mutiple Sunday School classes. For example the head of household was assigned to five Sunday School classes and three Primary classes. Perhaps this problem became with the latest download revision MLS 2.8.1. I will be calling the Membership department in the morning to inquire as to the cause of this problem.

Although it could be a bug, it could also be user error (in conjunction with a weird quirk of MLS). Have you examined the rules associated with the classes? If these are classes that you (or someone else) added, and those rules are open-ended for age, then anyone can be in them. So if you have a Valiant 10B class that you added and didn't put any age limit on, then a 50-year-old who moves into the ward fits the criteria and will be placed in the class.

The same is true of Sunday School classes -- if you add speciality classes (such as a Genealogy class, a Family Relations class, etc.) and leave them with no age restriction, then that 50-year-old will qualify for all the classes and be added to them all. It may seem strange, but I recommend adding all specialty classes with a 200 year age minimum age. That way no one will be automatically moved into the classes (but you can manually add anyone you want).
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Alan_Brown wrote:Have you examined the rules associated with the classes? If these are classes that you (or someone else) added, and those rules are open-ended for age, then anyone can be in them.

Is there any way to change the membership rules for a class in MLS once you have created it? When you create a new Sunday School or Primary class, you can specify the minimum and maximum age, male/female, minimum/maximum priesthood office, and married/single.

But as near as I can determine (using the test ward data for MLS), once you have created a class, the only things you can change are the class name and room number. So if you have made a mistake on those parameters (as I believe we have seen in this thread and others), how can you fix them? It seems like the only way is to create a new class with the correct parameters, and then move all the class members from the old class to the new class, then remove the old class. Am I missing something?
SmithGW

Multiple Organization Assignments

Post by SmithGW »

It looks as if your final solution with the new class and remove the old class is the solution. I see no other way to do it.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

Alan_Brown wrote:Is there any way to change the membership rules for a class in MLS once you have created it?
Not that I have found. I have found the Reset Classes link to be my friend when I have made a mistake in setting class rules. Be aware that you will need to recreate any nonstandard classes after clicking the Reset Classes link.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”