Can I list my step dad as my Parent ?

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
taloraangelenelayneward

Can I list my step dad as my Parent ?

Post by taloraangelenelayneward »

My daughter was just baptized yesterday. I was handed a copy of my record along with her certificate. My step father raised me from birth and I never met my real father but once. To this day my step dad is dad. He helped me move into a home , and is grandpa. He pays his tithing and fast offering every month. My step dad is no where on my record. My biological father is listed as my parent. I had to file in court to get my biological father to leave us alone because he used to call every bishop in every ward all my neighboors to try and communicate what a terrible past my ex husband had. My ex husband changed and has now been married in the temple to his new wife but my " biological" father will never understand and we have never spoken but twice in my 36 years. Many in my family are converts. Our names are only one generation old in the lds system. We have not all been married in the temple yet and will still be working on endowments for years. If I ever get the chance to be sealed to my parents I want it to be my mother and the man who was married to her for 15 years. The man who I call dad- but is really my step father. I never ever want to be sealed to the man who has been harassing, stalking, and attacking me and my children for years. The biological father however has been married in the temple. I am unfamiliar with the procedures and rules. Can someone elighten me? I greatly appreciate your time and information.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

If your step-dad legally adopted you, then the ward membership clerk can update your record.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
greggo

Post by greggo »

RussellHltn wrote:If your step-dad legally adopted you, then the ward membership clerk can update your record.

This will update your membership record (if you were legally adopted), but as far as sealings go, it may be difficult to be sealed to your step father, if you were born in the covenant - meaning that your biological parents were sealed at the time and remain so on church records.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

greggo wrote:... but as far as sealings go, it may be difficult to be sealed to your step father, if you were born in the covenant ...
This is not the case from the information provided.

Once the membership record is changed to reflect the step father as the legal parent, and the biological mother and step father are sealed, then the sealing to biological mother and step father can be performed. Even if the biological father, who is now endowed and sealed to his current wife, wants his daughter to be sealed to them it cannot happen while the daughter is living and does not want it to happen.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:This is not the case from the information provided.
Indeed.

But for anyone who finds themselves in that situation, I'd recommended sitting down with the bishop and going over the pertinent parts in Handbook 1. You may be in for a pleasant surprise.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
nataleecallahan

Re: Can I list my step dad as my Parent ?

Post by nataleecallahan »

Similar situation, except that my biological father passed away when I was very young. I was sealed to my stepfather, but he never legally adopted me. It still shows my biological father on church records, but I am not sealed to him which causes confusion since the man who raised me, I call dad, and am sealed to is listed nowhere on my membership record. No one has been able to answer this concern for me.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”