Temple Recommend Status in Reports

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
ataylor32
New Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:18 pm

Temple Recommend Status in Reports

Postby ataylor32 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:45 pm

It looks like I don't have permission to edit the wiki, so I'm going to make a feature request here. If this is not the appropriate place, then I apologize. Please point me in the right direction. Thanks :)

In the "Unit Statistics" section on lds.org, one can easily see which endowed adults have a recommend and which don't. From what I can tell, this is not possible in MLS. Although the "Unit Statistics" section does show you the endowed adults, these are the only columns in the report:

  • Name
  • Sex
  • Priesthood
  • Record Number
  • Birth
  • Confirmed
I tried to work around this by creating a custom report called "Endowed Adults with Recommend" with these criteria:

  • Endowment Status is "Endowed"
  • Temple Recommend Expiration Date is in next "5 Years"

However, the report included members whose temple recommend status is "Canceled". Perhaps a "Temple Recommend Status" custom report attribute is in order?

I guess this could actually be considered two feature requests related to the same thing.

jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee
Posts: 1454
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:12 am
Location: Farmington, UT, USA

Postby jonesrk » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:32 pm

ataylor32 wrote:In the "Unit Statistics" section on lds.org, one can easily see which endowed adults have a recommend and which don't. From what I can tell, this is not possible in MLS. Although the "Unit Statistics" section does show you the endowed adults, these are the only columns in the report:

In MLS the unit statistics defaults to Normal. In the upper right you can change it to Detailed and you get all the same rows you get in the Clerk Resources version on lds.org

Also in MLS under Membership there is a Temple Recommends section that has some useful reports. You can use the View Recommends and sort it by Expiration Date to see who will be needing a new recommend soon. Sorting the the Endowed Members Without Recommends by Expiration Date is also informative.
Ryan Jones
CDOL Developer
Stake Technology Specialist - Software / Stake Assistant Clerk
Former Ward Clerk

ataylor32
New Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:18 pm

Postby ataylor32 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:51 pm

Wow, I totally missed that "Reports" dropdown menu that allows you to see detailed reports. Very nice! Thank you!

larry19810
New Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 5:34 pm

Re: Temple Recommend Status in Reports

Postby larry19810 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:12 pm

We are getting inconsistent reports related to Temple Recommend status. For our YSA ward, if we check 'Unit Statistics' we see 66 endowed with 64 active and 2 expired recommends. If we check 'Temple recommend status' and select for 'active' we see 55 recommends. When we select for 'expired' we see 11 expired recommends. Why is there a difference between these two ways of getting the same data.

When I click through on the names of individuals from the 'Unit Statistics' active recommends, several individuals show up on further drilling with expired recommends.

???

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20763
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: Temple Recommend Status in Reports

Postby russellhltn » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:19 pm

larry19810 wrote:if we check 'Unit Statistics' we see 66 endowed with 64 active and 2 expired recommends. If we check 'Temple recommend status' and select for 'active' we see 55 recommends. When we select for 'expired' we see 11 expired recommends. Why is there a difference between these two ways of getting the same data.


The good news is that both are adding up to 66. So there's some consistency there.

I'd want to take a close look at the number of recommends that have just expired or are about to expire. For Unit Statistics, I believe they are based on "last month". So if 8 recommends expired on May 31st, that would explain it.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

larry19810
New Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 5:34 pm

Re: Temple Recommend Status in Reports

Postby larry19810 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:25 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. 1 expired in May, 2 more expired in March/April. 1 expires during june. And 5 expire in July. If I drill down on one of those that was issued in July 2011, it already is showing as 'expired'. In the 'Temple recommend status' it shows up as 'expiring'.

eblood66
Senior Member
Posts: 2028
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:17 am
Location: Cumming, GA, USA

Re: Temple Recommend Status in Reports

Postby eblood66 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:44 pm

larry19810 wrote:Thanks for the quick reply. 1 expired in May, 2 more expired in March/April. 1 expires during june. And 5 expire in July. If I drill down on one of those that was issued in July 2011, it already is showing as 'expired'. In the 'Temple recommend status' it shows up as 'expiring'.

I don't actually see anything in Unit Statistics that says expired, expiring or active. What I do see is an Endowed with Recommend list and a Endowed without Recommend list. Is that what you're looking at?

I do see a number of people on the Endowed With Recommend list who definitely have expired recommends. The Temple Recommend Status list appears to be correct. I can't see any pattern for those who are on the wrong list.

larry19810
New Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 5:34 pm

Re: Temple Recommend Status in Reports

Postby larry19810 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:52 pm

Under 'Unit statistics' it shows 'Endowed with Recommend' 64 and 'Endowed without recommend' as 2. I consider an expired recommend to be a 'without recommend' status, but maybe they are using it otherwise.

Under 'temple recommend status' then I can select various categories and see the expired vs expiring designations. I have to go back to 'expired before 2010' to only have 2.

despain
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:59 pm
Location: US

Re: Temple Recommend Status in Reports

Postby despain » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:37 am

I found the same problem starting with the May statistics reporting in June. The "Endowed Without Recommend" report from the unit statistics is reporting 12 fewer members (44 vs 32) without a recommend for our ward compared to the "Endowed Members Without Recommend" coming from the Reports > Without Recommend under clerk resources. It looks like those with an expiration date in the past four years are excluded, other than the most recent month--May 2013 were included on the abbreviated report. Hope this helps pinpoint the issue.

eblood66
Senior Member
Posts: 2028
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:17 am
Location: Cumming, GA, USA

Re: Temple Recommend Status in Reports

Postby eblood66 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:42 am

despain wrote:I found the same problem starting with the May statistics reporting in June. The "Endowed Without Recommend" report from the unit statistics is reporting 12 fewer members (44 vs 32) without a recommend for our ward compared to the "Endowed Members Without Recommend" coming from the Reports > Without Recommend under clerk resources. It looks like those with an expiration date in the past four years are excluded, other than the most recent month--May 2013 were included on the abbreviated report. Hope this helps pinpoint the issue.

I think you're right. The ones which expired between April 2009 and April 2013 (inclusive) are missing from our ward's report under Unit Statistics.


Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest