deleting child of record

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
jayriggity

deleting child of record

Post by jayriggity »

A family on our records recently asked to have their names removed from church records. CHQ removed the parents and they no longer appear on ward records. But the four children (all, I believe, blessed, but never baptized -- some over age 9 and some under age 9) remain on our records. CHQ apparently told our bishop that deleting their records is our responsibility.

Anyone have a clue how to do this? I see three options in MLS for record removal -- non-member, temporary member, and out-of-unit member -- but none applies. Any help is much appreciated.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jayriggity wrote:A family on our records recently asked to have their names removed from church records. CHQ removed the parents and they no longer appear on ward records. But the four children (all, I believe, blessed, but never baptized -- some over age 9 and some under age 9) remain on our records. CHQ apparently told our bishop that deleting their records is our responsibility.

Anyone have a clue how to do this? I see three options in MLS for record removal -- non-member, temporary member, and out-of-unit member -- but none applies. Any help is much appreciated.
There's one additional option -- Cancel Record -- but it doesn't apply here either. That only allows you to cancel a record in two situations:
  • When an unbaptized member turns 18 and has chosen not to be baptized. But MLS will not let you choose this option for someone under 18
  • When there is a duplicate record. But MLS will only let you choose this option if you can supply the MRN for the record to be retained.
So I don't see how you can do it in MLS, short of sending a Special Request, which is really just a formal way of asking CHQ to remove the records. But that is probably still your best option, since it will send a request associated with each record to be removed.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”