MLS User Names

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
gpetersen-p40

Post by gpetersen-p40 »

I had similar issues on two different ward computers. All users claimed to be using the correct procedures in shutting down MLS and the computer. While I was working on one of the computers, contemplating my next step, the computer went in to hibernation mode. When it came out, the I received a message the time had been changed, I don't think MLS allowed me to log off and exit at that point. When I restarted MLS, the database was gone. I restored the database and everything was fine. I disabled the hibernation mode for the computers and have not had a problem since. For what it is worth...
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

enriquer wrote:Do you have SP2 and all the updates too?
Desktop 5.5 as shipped with a few updates on the applications. D55 does have SP2, but the MS update process seems to be locked down. Only one unit has Internet access, so I didn't worry about it too much.

enriquer wrote:Anyway, It is considerably faster now. In my particular ward the biggest speed difference came from when the PATA drive died and it got replaced with a SATA one.
I believe that MLS is quite drive intensive, so a faster hard drive would help a lot.
daddy-o-p40

Post by daddy-o-p40 »

Here's a way to lessen the burden on RAM and speed up the computers a bit.

Right click on My Computer and choose properties. Then go to the Advanced tab. Look for the Performance section and click on settings. Now select Adjust for best performance and click ok.

This will turn off non-essential effects and glamour that take up too many resources on these horsepower challenged machines.
"What have I done for someone today?" Thomas Monson
daddy-o-p40

Post by daddy-o-p40 »

Jim,

Here's a CHQ Support article about it:
Lost or corrupted user names in MLS

Hope this helps.
"What have I done for someone today?" Thomas Monson
Humanriff-p40

Post by Humanriff-p40 »

Just for the record, in response to the original question, as far as I know it is impossible to "Delete" a user if any activity has been entered by them for some extended period of time. The only thing you can do is make them "Inactive" or "Disabled" (I'm not sure what the exact terminology it uses). I have been ward clerk for our ward for 5 years and every user that has been added during that time is still listed, although most are inactive.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Humanriff wrote:Just for the record, in response to the original question, as far as I know it is impossible to "Delete" a user if any activity has been entered by them for some extended period of time.
I think the criteria is if their hands have been in any financial transactions for as long as MLS keeps the financial data. But you're right. It's not easy to delete users accidentally. Since it's impossible to delete the currently signed in user, it's not possible to delete all users in MLS.

However, there have been cases when the MLS data file gets corrupted in such a way as to loose all the users.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”