Multiple Units on Same Machine

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:Too late now, but I wonder of the right way for future users to do this is to install the discontinued ward's database on the stake machine. Hopefully the MLS updates will keep the database updated and keep it assessable. But I'm not sure if that works if the data is never opened.

After a software upgrade, the database is upgraded only after the database is opened (meaning someone logs into that database). If the data from a discontinued ward were installed on the stake computer, though, this would be easy to do whenever there is an upgrade.

That said, this sounds like an exceptional circumstance where the financial books for the discontinued ward were not closed properly, and this oversight was noticed much later. I'm not sure it makes much sense to draw a general conclusion from this case. But still your suggestion has merit, as there may be other reasons why the data would need to be accessed -- for tax issues such as a donor statement, or researching a 1098-Misc issue, for example -- so keeping the data accessible may be worthwhile.
Skyhawk-p40

Post by Skyhawk-p40 »

Or I guess, the best solution is that no units are on 2.4.3 when 2.8 is the current version.

Technically, that would solve the problem :)
RussBarth

Post by RussBarth »

jbh001 wrote:There is an apparent upgrade path. If you login in here, there is a link to download MLS 2.7.3 which lets you upgrade data from MLS 2.4.3 (and forward) prior to upgrading to MLS 2.8.

The login information was sent out 01-Aug-2007 as an MLS message announcing the availability of MLS 2.6, and also in an 18-Oct-2007 MLS message announcing the availability of MLS 2.7.
That worked. Thanks for all the help!

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”