Custom Reports in MLS using multiple Custom Fields

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
Jan_Peter_Wolf

Custom Reports in MLS using multiple Custom Fields

Post by Jan_Peter_Wolf »

I may have discovered a bug or I may be pushing the limited capabilities of MLS custom reporting too hard.

Namely, when I use two newly defined custom fields e.g. "Activity Level" and "Activity Vector" to report what level members are at and what direction they're going in, in a custom report in MLS, I run into a problem. The Custom Report feature in MLS will allow me to set a selection for the first custom field (Activity Level) and a second custom field (Activity Vector) - it takes my input when I save and exit the EDIT.

However, when I then open EDIT the report to look at it again, it shows the first selection and custom field is unchanged, but now the first custom field appears in the second selection criterion line instead of the one I had saved earlier - the second custom field has been wiped out, replaced by the first custom field.

I can't imagine that I'm the only one that ever ran into this, and I'm thinking about "corrupting" another established MLS field like Sunday School Class to contain a custom variable instead to allow me to make selections on two items, both of them input by the missionary group for selection later into an MLS custom report, but only one of them a truly custom field, since the reporting apparently can't handle more than one. Does anyone have any experience with this and/or can they supply a better workaround? Jan Peter Wolf, Vashon Branch Clerk, Seattle Stake
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Jan_Peter_Wolf wrote:However, when I then open EDIT the report to look at it again, it shows the first selection and custom field is unchanged, but now the first custom field appears in the second selection criterion line instead of the one I had saved earlier - the second custom field has been wiped out, replaced by the first custom field.
That sounds like what was reported in the MLS Bug or Acting as intended thread. Not that it helps, but at least you're not alone.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

I have just made a detailed post in the MLS Bug or Acting as intended thread that explains what I believe is happening here. You might want to check it out.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”