MLS Issue for YSA Wards: No way to keep records in our wards

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
JohnSutherland

Post by JohnSutherland »

aebrown wrote: So what's the answer? I don't see any perfect solutions, but I'd love to hear a concrete suggestion. About all I can think of is some more training and education. Perhaps the process of requesting a record in MLS (or online at LDS.org now) could require the clerk or leader requesting the record to certify that the member actually lives in the ward and is attending that ward. If that question is answered honestly, it would stop these temporary record moves.

Your suggestion is good. My thought is that I would like an MLS function that would allow me to select a group of members and put a lock on their records for a selectable period of time up to the length of a semester (4 months for BYU.)
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

johnsutherland wrote:My thought is that I would like an MLS function that would allow me to select a group of members and put a lock on their records for a selectable period of time up to the length of a semester (4 months for BYU.)
This would unnecessarily prevent records from being moved in situations such as students returning home before the semester ends or dropping out. While there may be few of these, they do happen, and all situations need to be covered. Leaving it to the student ward clerk to move them out in these circumstances can lead to records being in the wrong unit.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
idjeeper2

Guilty as Charged

Post by idjeeper2 »

I hate to admit that I was one of "those clerks" that pulled records for missionary applications. I, and my Bishop, incorrectly assumed that it was necessary for the application to originate in our ward in order for everything else to align correctly. After a 2x4 to the forehead by one of the offended Bishops, we sat down with him and got trained. So I have repented. Of that.

The Temple Recommend issue is still a problem. My Stake President wants them done in our ward/stake. I don't see the need, but I'm not going to go to the mat with him over it. I believe the YSA Stake President is working that issue as he should. From what I heard, his comment was that there are no second class Stake Presidents in the Church, and he could issue a recommend just as well as any other Stake President.:) The only aspect of this that concerns me is the quality of the Temple Preparation course. My experience as a YSA Branch Clerk was that these lessons were very poorly taught. On the other hand, the folks that have taught most of my family are fantastic. Wonderful combination of experience, knowledge, and spirituality. This is something that could be easily handled in the YSA Ward if the Bishop understands the need, and I think most of them do.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

idjeeper2 wrote:The Temple Recommend issue is still a problem. My Stake President wants them done in our ward/stake. I don't see the need, but I'm not going to go to the mat with him over it.
Your Stake President is simple wrong. Unless the YSA resides in his stake he has no jurusdiction over those members in YSA wards/stake.
idjeeper2 wrote: The only aspect of this that concerns me is the quality of the Temple Preparation course. My experience as a YSA Branch Clerk was that these lessons were very poorly taught.
As long as the course material is being followed the information is being provided as required. Quality is a matter of opion.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

idjeeper2 wrote:The Temple Recommend issue is still a problem. My Stake President wants them done in our ward/stake.

A temple recommend is issued by the bishop who holds the membership record. If the member has not lived in the (YSA) ward for at least a year, the bishop consults with the former (home ward) bishop before issuing the recommend.

To follow the wishes of your stake president, the membership record would need to be moved back into the home ward, and the home ward bishop would then have to consult with the YSA bishop who previously held the record before issuing a recommend.

I do not see a need for that, especially if the membership record would then be transferred back again into the YSA ward.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”