Two Features Needed Before LUWS v2.0

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
margiestroble

Post by margiestroble »

RussellHltn wrote:I think the envelop icon only indicates that there is a email address and it's not hidden. If the envelop is there, then obviously they have registered. If it's not there, you have no clue.
That's right. I just meant if the envelope icon was showing, you could click on it and send email from the webpage, or you could copy and paste it into your address book. If they have their email address hidden, it doesn't appear to the general membership, but the ward & stake admins can see it by going to the green admin area.
liver9-p40

Cell and Email

Post by liver9-p40 »

First I would like to say thanks for putting this together. I have 2 questions.
1. In printing out the phone directory in MLS will there be a way of having all family members cell phone numbers and email addresses printed out? At the moment only the primary phone or email is listed.
2. When or will they have a network version of MLS so that our financial clerk, membership clerk, ward clerk, and if need be bishop or counselors be able to access the program so they can retrieve the information that they need without interupting the other person.

michaelcox

Post by michaelcox »

liver9 wrote: 2. When or will they have a network version of MLS so that our financial clerk, membership clerk, ward clerk, and if need be bishop or counselors be able to access the program so they can retrieve the information that they need without interupting the other person.

I haven't tried to network MLS although I'd imagine if one wanted to spend enough time it could probably be done. That said, I'm sure that a networked version of MLS would not only not be supported but with trying to get all the computers church wide replaced, having 2 or more computers is probably not a huge priority for the Church right now.
Thanks,

Michael H. Cox
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

I also don't know about policy, but for this to be possible you'd need another computer in the office, the only way, unless the ward purchases another computer, would be for the bishop and clerk to bring their laptops and install MLS on them.

I don't know if you have these resources or even if you can install MLS on a non-church owned computer.
- David
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

michaelcox wrote:I haven't tried to network MLS although I'd imagine if one wanted to spend enough time it could probably be done. That said, I'm sure that a networked version of MLS would not only not be supported but with trying to get all the computers church wide replaced, having 2 or more computers is probably not a huge priority for the Church right now.
I could be wrong but I believe that the database that is used by MLS is embedded with the application and therefore may not be setup to operate in a multi-user fashion.

Tom
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

thedqs wrote:I also don't know about policy, but for this to be possible you'd need another computer in the office, the only way, unless the ward purchases another computer, would be for the bishop and clerk to bring their laptops and install MLS on them.

I don't know if you have these resources or even if you can install MLS on a non-church owned computer.
I'm almost certain that the Church does not want people installing MLS data on personal computers.

Tom
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

michaelcox wrote:I haven't tried to network MLS although I'd imagine if one wanted to spend enough time it could probably be done.
Unless MLS was designed on a database platform that supports record locking, I doubt if it could be done. I'm sure the developers didn't spend any time designing much less testing record or file locking. It's not needed for a single user application.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

RussellHltn wrote:Unless MLS was designed on a database platform that supports record locking, I doubt if it could be done. I'm sure the developers didn't spend any time designing much less testing record or file locking. It's not needed for a single user application.
My understanding is that MLS uses a DB which probably would support record locking because it probably is thread safe. However because it runs in embedded mode, it probably caches a lot of data in memory and separate processes would not have access to the cache. I "think" that is more the problem.

Tom
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

Just for databases, there are different types of locking which means that we really don't know (unless the devs want to say). The program could lock the entire database (the most common and easiest to prevent double writes, though multiple programs can read at the same time), it could lock the record which allows multiple programs to write and read at the same time, just cannot write the same record, and then there is no locking (almost never used) which means everyone can read and write to the same record and whoever was last wins.

As for caching I believe Java will routinely compare cache with database so that they stay in sync so that multiple programs can update together.
- David

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”