HQ Correcting MLS Computer Name

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
sammythesm

Post by sammythesm »

tullisda wrote:In 2012, the Church is dedicating more resources to improve clerk computers.

Glad to see the support. We could all use more support. However - I think a lot of the STSs may be a little concerned with having extra helpers. As everyone with kids of a certain age knows, sometimes more "helpers" only slows down the work, not speeds it up.

Can you more specifically tell us what kind of support we might anticipate and what this new initiative hopes to accomplish?

(Personally, I'd like to see the clerk computer abolished and go to a bring-your-own-device model with MLS completely in the cloud... but that's just me.)
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

tullisda wrote:HQ will correct computers that are not correctly named but no notice will be sent informing users of the changes.

For computers running two or more units, will the correction, if needed, select the proper unit to name the computer?
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

dajoker wrote:I assume this applies to Stake computers as well, but could that be confirmed?

I checked our Stake computer last night, before and after the update. I can confirm that it indeed got renamed!
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

tullisda wrote:HQ will correct computers that are not correctly named but no notice will be sent informing users of the changes.
Our Ward computer was also updated last night, but was not correctly named, so following the instructions elsewhere in this post, I duly renamed it to comply!
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

Our MLS computer has a Microsoft update flag in the Task Manager area to update the computer . The Computer is already appears to have been named correctly when installed a couple of years ago ("LU-167851."). Allowing the update seems to run, but nothing is changed and, shortly thereafter, the update flag reappears. We are running WINXP.

I have tried applying the update while the computer is running and allowing it to update and then shutdown - both with the same effect.

Any suggestions on clearing the update flag?
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

Bump. Are we the only unit who's computer is named correctly and the update flag refuses to go away? Has anyone else seen this issue?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

davesudweeks wrote:Bump. Are we the only unit whose computer is named correctly and the update flag refuses to go away? Has anyone else seen this issue?
Our computers were all named correctly prior to this update, but we never even saw any update flag. So I don't know what to tell you, except that there must be something else going on here besides the fact that your computer was already named correctly.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
dajoker

Post by dajoker »

lajackson,

Today I noticed our computer had renamed itself to the number of a test ward (coincidentally somebody had been in MLS in the test ward recently). It appears computers servicing multiple real (or test) units may be doing a lot of renaming as MLS is used for those different units. Not sure what kind of issues this could cause going forward other than a lot of unnecessary renames (and perhaps prompts to reboot to accompany them).
AB
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

dajoker wrote:lajackson,

Today I noticed our computer had renamed itself to the number of a test ward . . .

Perhaps the algorithm is programmed to name the computer to the lowest unit number on the box. If so, they are about to find out that there are a lot of computers on their network named LU-108 and LU-2224445. [grin]

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”