Temple Recommends not getting activated

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
michaelfish

Temple Recommends not getting activated

Post by michaelfish »

We're having a problem getting Temple Recommends activated and was wondering if anyone else is having this problem. Also, we'd like to know what happened, why it happened, and if it is something that we could have done to prevent it from happening and how to prevent it from happening again.

History:
In December, a batch of Temple recommends were entered on the Stake's MLS computer and the Send/Receive was completed successfully. Our Activated Temple Recommend report had no errors and all recommends on the Stake's MLS PC showed the correct expiration date.

However, one ward's MLS computer showed none of their members recommends had been activated, even after several send/receive sessions and more than a week of time elapsing.

Members of this particular ward who attempted to attend the Temple were turned away.

Once we found out there were problems, we activated them last Sunday and they did take this time (edited on the Stake MLS PC and verified on the Ward's PC).

One possible explanation could be that something happened on ward's PC because it was was replaced on December 26th. I was the one who replaced it and I believe I followed the procedures and guidelines correctly as outlined on the church Wiki - in short:

On Friday December 23rd, while I set up the new PC, I performed a backup of the old MLS (old PC) and stored it on a thumb drive before disconnecting. When I attempted to contact CHQ to activate the new PC, I discovered that CHQ was closed for the Christmas holiday (this was Friday afternoon). I disconnected and removed the new PC (MLS was never activated) and the old PC was put back into service. A send/receive was conducted to ensure proper communication.

Monday December 26th – The old backup on the thumb drive was deleted. A send/receive of MLS was conducted on the old PC and a new backup was stored on the thumb drive. The new PC was installed and CHQ was called to activate MLS on the new PC. After MLS was active, the backup from the Thumb drive was restored to MLS. A couple of send/receive were conducted to verify correct communication.

Any ideas?
kd7mha

Post by kd7mha »

you are not the only one to report this problem, see this thread https://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.php?10214-Temple-Recommend-Activation-Issue
There are 11 types of people. Those who understand Gray Code and those that don't.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

Known issue and it's not related to the update. Follow the link kd7mha posted.
michaelfish wrote:Monday December 26th – The old backup on the thumb drive was deleted. A send/receive of MLS was conducted on the old PC and a new backup was stored on the thumb drive. The new PC was installed and CHQ was called to activate MLS on the new PC. After MLS was active, the backup from the Thumb drive was restored to MLS. A couple of send/receive were conducted to verify correct communication.
I would just comment there is no need to keep just one backup on your thumb drive. I would keep as many on it as it will hold. Sometimes your backups are corrupted and it's nice to have other options than the most recent to go back to. For example, this year one of my units discovered a database corruption in September. Using their old backups, we were able to trace it back to May 30.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

michaelfish wrote:However, one ward's MLS computer showed none of their members recommends had been activated, even after several send/receive sessions and more than a week of time elapsing.

If the stake is successfully activating recommends for other wards, have the ward in question make sure the recommend book has been marked in that ward MLS as received. See the first post in this thread.

Perhaps in the replacing of the ward computer the book somehow got marked as not received for a while.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”