Leave the 18 YOs in YM/YW?

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
ckmcdonald

Leave the 18 YOs in YM/YW?

Post by ckmcdonald »

Can MLS be told to leave the 18 year-old's in Priest/Laurels rather than move them to EQ/RS?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

ckmcdonald wrote:Can MLS be told to leave the 18 year-old's in Priest/Laurels rather than move them to EQ/RS?
18-year-old Priests do remain in the Priests quorum; they only move to EQ when they are ordained elders, or turn 19.

As for YW, there is no way to change the current algorithm for moving Laurels to RS. It's a tricky issue. Moving them when they turn 18 can be too early, or sometimes too late. But if MLS doesn't move them when they turn 18, what should be the trigger? Moving them when they turn 19 is pretty much guaranteed to be too late. So you'll be stuck with some manual moves whichever way the system is programmed. I can't imagine any change to that algorithm that would be better in every case.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:I can't imagine any change to that algorithm that would be better in every case.

"Every case" is a tough one, but I think something could be done which is closer. If it was up to me, I might try something like: Anyone who turns 18 in the current year moves up during the summer. That would fit our local school admissions policy.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ckmcdonald

Post by ckmcdonald »

What would be wrong with leaving it just like it is, except giving optional manual control when it is needed/desired? MLS already does similar things, like allowing for split primary classes and assigning different attendees to each.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

ckmcdonald wrote:What would be wrong with leaving it just like it is, except giving optional manual control when it is needed/desired? MLS already does similar things, like allowing for split primary classes and assigning different attendees to each.
I'm not sure what kind of manual control you're asking about. It's very easy to move a YW back from RS to Laurels after the automatic move when she turns 18. That's similar to the way other automatic moves to classes are handled.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
ckmcdonald

Post by ckmcdonald »

I think I asked my original question poorly. I'll start over. Given aebrown's last post it sounds like what I want to do is both possible and easy. There are two things I'd like to do.

1. Move an 18 yo female back onto the Laurels rolls.
2. Move an 18 yo male to the EQ rolls before he is ordained an Elder.

It sounds like both these are possible. If so, can someone please provide a brief description of how it's done.

Thanks
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Take a look at Moving members to a new class in the Wiki.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ckmcdonald

Post by ckmcdonald »

Thanks - exactly what I was looking for.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”