18-year-old Young Women

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
aebrown
Community Administrator

18-year-old Young Women

Post by aebrown »

MLS will not allow anyone to be added to the Young Women organization except for females who are 12-17 years old. This seems to be a rigid enforcement of what is a recommendation, not an absolute requirement, according to the CHI, Book 2, p. 214.

[INDENT]Young women ordinarily move into the Relief Society when they reach their 18th birthday. However, because of special circumstances, such as individual maturity, desire to continue with peer group associates, school graduation, and college attendance, a young woman may move into Relief Society earlier or remain in Young Women longer.[/INDENT]We have a situation in our stake where a bishop wants a young woman to remain in the Young Women organization for a few months longer, but MLS absolutely forbids that, as near as I can determine. Am I missing something, either regarding the policy or the capabilities of MLS?
opee

Post by opee »

I think that when they turn 18, MLS will automatically move them into RS (as it does the YM into EQ), but you should be able to assign them to the Laurel class by going to the Individual record and assign them to the "appropriate" organization.

Did that not work?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

opee wrote:but you should be able to assign them to the Laurel class by going to the Individual record and assign them to the "appropriate" organization.
I can understand MLS balking at putting her in YM if she's in RS, so it might be a matter of how this is done. The suggestion of doing it from her record rather then from the YM roll is a good one.

Just as a thought, any YM who becomes pregnant gets promoted to RS regardless of age. I don't think the Bishop has discretion in the matter. MLS doesn't show that she's had a child, does it?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

opee wrote:I think that when they turn 18, MLS will automatically move them into RS (as it does the YM into EQ), but you should be able to assign them to the Laurel class by going to the Individual record and assign them to the "appropriate" organization.

Did that not work?

Going to the individual record offers no option for assigning individuals to organizations -- the only option it offers in this area is "Reset Organizations for Member", which of course follows the organization rules and would put any 18-year-old female in Relief Society.

Trying to do this the other way around doesn't work either. When I go to the Laurel class in the Young Women organization, then choose Add Members, I am presented with an empty list to choose from (unless I have manually removed someone in the 16-17 year range).

However, by continuing my experimentation, I finally found the way that actually works! You have to go to the Relief Society organization, find the 18-year-old, and remove her from Relief Society. You are then presented with an option to specify her new destination organization, and fortunately the Laurel class is one option.

This is not the most intuitive route, at least for me, but I'm glad to know there's a way. Thanks, opee, for spurring me on to keep trying until I figured it out.
SmithGW

18-year-old Young Women

Post by SmithGW »

Maybe I'm missing something, but I didn't have any trouble doing this. I went to "Relief Society," looked in the "Members" section and found the name of a 19-year-old female. I clicked Remove. In the "Destination Organization" field in the window that appeared, I used the drop-down arrow and chose "Laurels." She was moved from the Relief Society to the Laurels. I was using a 2.7 version of MLS.

See if this works for you.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

smithgw wrote:Maybe I'm missing something, but I didn't have any trouble doing this. I went to "Relief Society," looked in the "Members" section and found the name of a 19-year-old female. I clicked Remove. In the "Destination Organization" field in the window that appeared, I used the drop-down arrow and chose "Laurels." She was moved from the Relief Society to the Laurels. I was using a 2.7 version of MLS.

See if this works for you.
I guess you didn't read my last post, where I indicated that I did finally figure out how to do this.

One of the main challenges of creating a user interface is structuring the UI so that options are where users expect them to be. Of course the term "users" doesn't denote a monolithic block of people who all think alike. So it may be that the UI for this makes perfect sense to the majority of the users. But I found it quite counterintuitive that MLS will not allow me to add someone to the Laurel class (which is what I wanted to do). Rather MLS will only allow me to remove her from Relief Society, which operation unintuitively gives me the option to move her to a different organization. If the option were labeled "Move" that might make some sense, but "Remove" doesn't communicate that functionality to me. For me, the UI is backwards.

The UI of MLS is also inconsistent in this regard. For example, if I want to add a prospective elder to the Elders organization, I can simply choose "Add Member" and add someone to Elders. Now this will not automatically remove that brother from the High Priests organization, but at least I can do the addition. This is very much a parallel to the operation of moving a member of Relief Society to the Laurel class, but it works differently. Predictability is an important concept in UI design, and inconsistency certainly doesn't help predictability.

I'd be interested in hearing why you didn't have any trouble doing this. Do you have some sort of experience or knowledge that led you directly to the "Remove" option, or is it the case that to your way of thinking, it makes perfect sense to Remove from RS rather than Add to the Laurel class?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Likewise, one might think that by going into the member's record that one might be able to manage their group membership there, since that's were you can reset it (if I remember right).

So I think the issue here is that a user might think of three places to go: To go to the Laurels to add the person, to go to RS to remove that person, or go to that member's individual record. Only one of those locations implemented the needed function.
unixguy

Post by unixguy »

Just as a thought, any YM who becomes pregnant gets promoted to RS regardless of age.
I suspect that would be some kind of miracle! :)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

unixguy wrote:I suspect that would be some kind of miracle! :)
Unfortunately, no. :(
unixguy

Post by unixguy »

Sorry, I took advantage of your typo that I frequently make myself. YM == Young Men, right? So your comment suggested that Young Men who get pregnant need to be going to Relief Society....

I sent instructions to our Ward Council asking them to take attendance of all the Young Men attending the Young Women classes. Oops.

At any rate-- to sort of keep this on topic; I discovered that two of the YM who turned 18 had automatically been switched to the Prosp. Elder group rather than still being in Priests quorum-- I used the instructions earlier in the thread to move them back to YM (since they're still in high school).

It would be nice to receive some sort of affirmative prompt before the 18 years olds are automatically moved up!

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”