Removing users from MLS

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
bballrob

Removing users from MLS

Post by bballrob »

I'm trying to clean up some things in MLS, such as removing old users who have either been released or even moved out of our ward.

I am receiving the following message on a couple of them. It reads as follows:

User ______ is referenced in one of the database records and cannot be deleted. For now, _____ is flagged as inactive.

Is there anything that can be done to remove these people?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Removing users from MLS

Post by russellhltn »

No, and don't worry about it. Their names are attached to finance records. They will be purged when those records are purged. By marking them inactive, it removes them from most places where they'd be visible. So it's not a problem.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
snowb79

Post by snowb79 »

I am in the same boat as bballrob. Some of the users have been inactive for some time, moved away, and one is even deceased (a few years ago). How long do they stay on the list even if they are inactive? Thanks for the help.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I believe it's 3 years (the amount of time financial records are required to be kept, at least in the United States).
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

sbradshaw wrote:I believe it's 3 years (the amount of time financial records are required to be kept, at least in the United States).
In the US, deactivated MLS users are finally deleted at the year-end that is at least three years after the last transaction that user was involved in. So it could be nearly four years. And some countries have retention periods that are 5 or even 7 years, so it could be almost 8 years before some users would finally be removed.

But as long as a user has been deactivated, they will cease to appear anywhere in user lists in MLS except for the user list in System Options. Every other place where you see lists of users (login, authorizing a financial batch, etc.) they will not appear. So even if you have a long list of inactive users, it really should not be a burden; just deactivate users who no longer need access and stop worrying about them.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I've run into this with my stake. The user in question moved away in 2010, so after 5+ years they shouldn't be associated with anything in the database. When I called CHQ, they told me it was "timed" rather than based on the actual data in the database. I'm not sure if I completely believe it, but clearly it's not working as I had expected.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”