Shared Resources

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
gamoody

Shared Resources

Post by gamoody »

A quick search didn't show me if this had been addressed before so I thought I would ask the community.

Our ward shares the building with another ward. When it comes to setting up resources for the web site, this becomes cumbersome as the other ward also has building resource needs for their ward activities. Presently, the arrangement is such that the ward of the agent bishop (this shifts between the two units each year) calls a building scheduler who is the end authority for scheduling the building for both wards. The current building scheduler is very good about putting the events into the respective ward calendars but the building as a resource function is not implemented in either ward.

As the Church has a great number of instances of shared buildings (and other resources) I was wondering if anyone had a different solution that was able to incorporate the resource calendar function.

Thanks
The_Earl

Post by The_Earl »

Some have found it easiest to mark these as stake resources, then admin them through the stake calendar. This is not ideal, as your ward admin would have to work with the stake to either get access, or have the stake clerks post info.

This was discussed somewhere on here, but I can't remember where.

There is also a discussion of features wanted for calendars. You should poke through that and put your voice in.

Thanks
The Earl
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

If the resource is created at the stake level, it can be "pushed down" to both wards, so both wards are looking at the same resource calendar. Since resource admin is separate from the general web page admin, it's not necessary for the building scheduler to be a stake admin.

The desire to link activities with resources has been expressed several times.

One thing that might help in scheduling, is by scheduling a "ward night". For example, Ward A gets Wednesdays, and Ward B gets Thursdays. That way the various Auxiliaries can plan their week activities without each one having to go to the scheduler.
gamoody

Thanks for the responses

Post by gamoody »

I appreciate the ideas and will look for the feature request thread. I had considered the stake resource approach but also thought that the coloring (blue for stake, red for ward) might get confusing. Having two or three calendars (resource and each ward event) would be bad already. The designated ward night works well for regular activities like scouts, YM/YW, enrichment activities but still has issues for baptisms, wedding receptions, and other special activities.
bhofmann

Post by bhofmann »

We have the same situation you described and used the stake resource option. It worked out pretty well.
GrasseDD

Multi-stake resources

Post by GrasseDD »

What about inter-stake shared resources?
We will soon have be sharing a camp property with several other stakes. I wonder if there is a feasible way to use the resource feature with it.
Anyone have ideas?
Thanks,
dg
jdcopel

Multi-stake resources

Post by jdcopel »

I have a similar issue like the previous poster with regard to multi-stake resources.

Because of space constraints, our ward meets in the stake center of another stake. So a question for someone at the stake admin level. Can a stake resource be shared with a unit that is not within your stake?

While I'd like a confirmation, I suspect the answer is no. Any other ideas as to how to make the other stake's building schedule availble to my unit?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

mongi3 wrote:While I'd like a confirmation, I suspect the answer is no. Any other ideas as to how to make the other stake's building schedule availble to my unit?
Your answer no is confirmed. [grin]

The only way I know to do it is to create a resource in your stake LUWS for the other building, and assign pieces of it as your stake needs it. If you totally duplicate (and waste effort) the other stake building information, your folks will know everything that is going on there. Otherwise, they just see that a certain room or area is reserved for them.

The trouble with this method comes when one of the building coordinators does not coordinate with the other, or miscommunicates. The other trouble comes in that neither coordinator can see the other's resource calendar.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mongi3 wrote:While I'd like a confirmation, I suspect the answer is no. Any other ideas as to how to make the other stake's building schedule availble to my unit?
If it's possible, I don't know how. I guess you could call clerk support and ask them if there's any magical powers on their end that can do that.

Failing that, my suggestion would be to assign each unit a schedule of when that ward may use the building. Be it every Tuesday and every other Saturday or whatever. That way the two coordinators don't have to call each other on each and every event. If someone wants to use then building when it's not their turn, then the two coordinators have to agree on the change.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

mongi3 wrote:Any other ideas as to how to make the other stake's building schedule availble to my unit?
Try having one or more of your ward web site administrators added as a non-resident member to one of the wards that meet in the stake building you use for your meetings. This way he will be able to view the resources calendar and the events calendar for that ward and their parent stake. Since he can now view the resources calendar and the events calendar he can be the go-between for scheduling. He will receive requests from your unit membership (Your unit reservation requests can be made throught the LUWS the same as for a resource you normally would own.) He then submits a reservation request as a member of the unit in the other stake.

When our stake split more than four years ago our stake remained in the old stake center building. The other stake was left adrift with no stake center. Since none of that stake's ward meeting houses is large enough for their semi-annual stake conferences, they schedule and use our stake building. They have a member of their stake presidency assigned as a non-resident member of one of our wards so he can view the calendar and submit reservation requests.

I know this is not exactly the same situation but it does permit someone in your unit to view the building resource calendar and events calendar to make reservation input requests. To get the information out to your unit membership may require more work on his part. He may have to enter calendar information from the other stake into your unit resource calendar. (This can be a lot of work.)

MLS is the place to add non-resident members to a unit. This will have to be coordinated through the other stake's leadership and the designated unit's bishop.

I know this is a kludged way of solving your problem but it is food for thought.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”