Non-Resident Members

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
drepouille

Non-Resident Members

Post by drepouille »

Story: When we started creating and dropping stake calendars on the new calendar site, I received an e-mail from a confused member who had moved out of our stake last year. She wanted to know why she was still receiving such messages from our stake. I looked at the Non-Resident Members page on the LUWS, and sure enough, she was still listed there, because she had been assigned to attend a smaller ward in the stake before she moved out. I removed her from that list, and all is well.

Question: After I switch the stake to the new calendar and the new directory, how much longer will I be maintaining the Non-Resident Members page on the LUWS?

I could ask similar questions about other features that have not yet been migrated (missionaries, lessons, and news), but for now I am only curious about the Non-Resident Members feature.

Thanks,
Dana Repouille
Council Bluffs Iowa Stake
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

There is no location on the new site for non-resident members. Once you switch, there is no reason to maintaining the old site. Non-resident rights do not transfer to the new sites.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

crislapi wrote:There is no location on the new site for non-resident members. Once you switch, there is no reason to maintaining the old site. Non-resident rights do not transfer to the new sites.

As odd as it seems, there is evidence to the contrary. Keep in mind the new site is simply new "modules". It's not a complete site.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

Perhaps, so I will restate. I have seen no evidence suggesting a need to maintain the list of non-resident members on the classic LUWS once you have switched to the new sites. My experience shows that adding non-resident members to the non-resident member list does not grant them permission to access the new sites, does not allow me to add them as calendar editors or building schedulers, and does not make it so they show up in the directories. In fact, the only reason I have been maintaining it at all is so that those who use istake and iward can access their non-resident units (these apps sync with the classic site).
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

I will also clarify by saying that my experience comes from a YSA stake. This means that all of the leadership in every unit are non-resident members. However, it also means that we function with a fraction of the programs a resident stake operates with (no primary, YM, YW, & HPG for example) so it is possible I do not have as complete a picture of any possible carry-over as RussellHltn.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

crislapi wrote:In fact, the only reason I have been maintaining it at all is so that those who use istake and iward can access their non-resident units (these apps sync with the classic site).

So your stake doesn't use any of the features of the classic site? Our stake uses News and Information quite a bit, as well as the Lesson Schedules features. Since those features exist only on the classic site at this point, that would be another good reason for maintaining the non-resident members list.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

aebrown wrote:Our stake uses News and Information quite a bit, as well as the Lesson Schedules features. Since those features exist only on the classic site at this point, that would be another good reason for maintaining the non-resident members list.
Good points. No, my stake has discontinued use of these features. The rationale is that the classic site is going away (supposedly) at the end of 2011. Since there is no location for these features on the new site, it seemed pointless to maintain.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

crislapi wrote:Good points. No, my stake has discontinued use of these features. The rationale is that the classic site is going away (supposedly) at the end of 2011. Since there is no location for these features on the new site, it seemed pointless to maintain.
We have no answers, but my conjecture is that the classic site can't possibly go away until those features are implemented. Yes, we were told that the classic site was being discontinued at the end of 2011, but we were also told that all those features would be developed during 2011. It seems quite clear that those features will not be released in the new site in 2011. And I assume that this means that the only site that houses these features (the classic site) will not be taken down, leaving us with no place to go for those features, and no transition to the new replacements whenever they are released.

But I freely admit that this is only conjecture on my part.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

This thread is the one I'm remembering. I was as surprised about the outcome as anyone else.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

Very interesting, particularly post #13 in that thread. Thank you for the heads-up.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”