Update For The Leadership Pages

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
bhofmann

Post by bhofmann »

Jeremy wrote:I think this would be a great idea and hope it is implemented. I like having the stake determine the lessons, but I would like to be able to modify for ward conferences.
Our stake presidency lets each Bishop decide so allowing us to enter our own lesson schedule would be great.
danpass

Temporary alternative for publishing ward lesson schedule

Post by danpass »

In another thread, I mentioned what wards in my stake are doing for the time being. Each ward is creating a calendar event for Sundays, that indicates which lesson or conference talk is scheduled for that week.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

Hard copy handed out to the members? At least that is also what my ward is doing to it was we were just discussing a potential improvement to LUWS.
- David
aebrown
Community Administrator

Gospel Doctrine, too?

Post by aebrown »

thedqs wrote:The point made back previously is that all the wards are not on the same schedule because of Ward Conference. The ability asked for is to make those changes at a ward level on a ward by ward basis. It can still keep the stake schedule as default if none is entered but what is requested is the ability to account for those small changes.
I agree that this would be an ideal implementation. The stake can put in the schedule that will be 95% correct for most wards, and the ward can make the slight adjustments needed for their particular ward. That will save a lot of work, since the bulk of the work of entering the schedule only has to be done once.

When that change is made to the LUWS, why not do the same for the Gospel Doctrine lesson schedule? The same efficiencies would be gained, and no flexibility at the ward level would be lost. Just a thought....
jstephen-p40

PS/RS Lesson Scheduling

Post by jstephen-p40 »

Are you saying that this has been changed so that the wards can now input their own lessons?

I just checked my own ward's web site and it still says that this is a stake function.

I am the stake clerk and really do not want to try and keep up with the changes that 9 units can come up with for their Priesthood and Relief Society schedules. Between ward conferences and other ward/branch controlled changes there is no way for me to know what lesson a ward or branch may be on for any given week.

Theoretically, the 2nd and 3rd Sundays should be reasonably close for each ward in the church, but there will always be one or two week swings. But, the 1st, 4th, and 5th are completely up to the unit. There is no way of knowing what they will be doing.

Jim Stephenson
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

jstephen wrote:Are you saying that this has been changed so that the wards can now input their own lessons?

I just checked my own ward's web site and it still says that this is a stake function.
No, the implementation has not been changed yet as far as we know. This thread is only a discussion of a possible solution.
bdalton

Post by bdalton »

As another temporary alternative, I have posted a News and Information item called "Lesson Schedules" with a PDF attachment that contains the ward PH/RS lesson schedule with links to all the Joseph Smith lessons and the Teachings For Our Times talks chosen by the Bishopric.

The Stake put up the schedule for all the 2nd and 3rd Sunday Joseph Smith lessons, but for the 4th Sunday all they have is TFOT#1, TFOT#2 and so on. Since in our Stake the Bishops decide which talk to use for TFOT, this could not be posted by the Stake.
Michaeljefferyjones

Priesthood/RS Lessons

Post by Michaeljefferyjones »

mkmurray wrote:No, the implementation has not been changed yet as far as we know. This thread is only a discussion of a possible solution.
As far as I understand it all Prieshhood/RS and Sunday School lessons should be the same Worldwide so whatever ward/branch you are in the lessons will be the same. The only time it changes is the 1st Sunday which is normally a training session and the 4th sunday which is Teaching for our times set by the Stake. Have I misunderstood this discussion?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

xaghra67 wrote:As far as I understand it all Prieshhood/RS and Sunday School lessons should be the same Worldwide so whatever ward/branch you are in the lessons will be the same. The only time it changes is the 1st Sunday which is normally a training session and the 4th sunday which is Teaching for our times set by the Stake. Have I misunderstood this discussion?
While the same Teachings of Presidents of the Church book is used throughout the world, the stake sets the dates the specific lessons are to be taught. They generally are used in order, so the chances are good that if you move to a new ward or branch you will only repeat or skip one or two lessons. But, the stake may decide which ones to skip or combine based on the needs of the stake.

This is driven mostly by the calendar. It seems there is always an extra lesson or two, and stake conferences happen at different times of the year for different stakes. Stakes also have to decide how to deal with ward and branch conferences, if the activities of those conferences affects the 3rd hour instruction.

The subject of the 4th Sunday Teachings for our Times comes from the most recent Ensign with General Conference talks. The stake may decide which talks to discuss. The stake also has the option of letting the bishops decide which talk will be discussed. This has been done in our stake.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”