LUWS CSV format problems

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mkmurray wrote:Give me an example, if you happen to have one.
It may be a plug-in issue. Right now on my home machine, If I click on a MP3 on my hard drive, it opens in Windows Media Player. But if I click on a MP3 link, it opens in QuickTime. I ran into that one before, and I was told to go to Start | Set Program Access and Defaults.

Right now I've got a issue in that I have both Acrobat 6 and Acrobat Reader 8. By default, I want web links to open in Reader. I haven't beaten that one into submission (yet).
bhofmann

Post by bhofmann »

A quick way I've managed program access with files is to right mouse click on a file in windows explorer and then go to Open With --> Choose Program. I then find the program on the list or click Browse to go and find it. There is also a check box that asks if I always want to use the program I selected. I use Firefox and so far my associations have held.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

RussellHltn wrote:That's not been my experience. I know how to change the Windows Explorer association. But IE is getting some settings somewhere else.

Under IE7 with Vista goto Internet Options->Programs and Click Set programs. Then click Associate a file types or ..... then select the file type and change the program.
- David
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

LOL, both of you are just saying the same thing as me...
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

I know but with step by step instructions. Could be that IE7 in Vista share the same associations, but IE6 and XP might not in which case at least this gives a starting point. You can also regedit it but that should be a last resort.
- David
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

You may be right; I'm not even seeing the Set Programs in IE7 on XP Pro.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mkmurray wrote:You may be right; I'm not even seeing the Set Programs in IE7 on XP Pro.
Nor I. There are settings for some other things and a listing of plugins, but that's about it.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

Thus it is a Vista Only function with IE 7. I think you can regedit it if you search for the application type URL header (MIME Type) string (for example "application/x-skype") and I think you can change the program that it goes to from there.

Of course in Vista it seemed that it wanted the program id (for example Windows Media Player 11 is WMP11.AssocMIME.WMA for the WMA files)
- David

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”