How to "Turn Off" Classic Calendar and Directory

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
FullmerCB
Church Employee
Church Employee

How to "Turn Off" Classic Calendar and Directory

Post by FullmerCB »

There is now an option for Stake Admins to 'turn off' the classic calendar and directory.

Stake Admins can login to their admin panel in the classic LUWs and click on "Use New Calendar/Directory" ... its the first option (highlighted in yellow) in the menu on the left. Should be intuitive how to turn off the old calendar & directory on that page.

Once this option is enabled, all members of the stake will be forwarded to the new Calendar or new Directory (respectively) when they click on (or go directly) to the classic Calendar, Membership Directory, or Leadership Directory.

Please remind Stake Admins to verify that all wards in their stake have successfully transitioned to the new tools (especially calendar events) before turning off the classic tools.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

FullmerCB wrote:There is now an option for Stake Admins to 'turn off' the classic calendar and directory.

Stake Admins can login to their admin panel in the classic LUWs and click on "Use New Calendar/Directory" ... its the first option (highlighted in yellow) in the menu on the left. Should be intuitive how to turn off the old calendar & directory on that page.

Once this option is enabled, all members of the stake will be forwarded to the new Calendar or new Directory (respectively) when they click on (or go directly) to the classic Calendar, Membership Directory, or Leadership Directory.

Please remind Stake Admins to verify that all wards in their stake have successfully transitioned to the new tools (especially calendar events) before turning off the classic tools.

Is this a one-way action or can it be "undone" if someone changes their mind?
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

techgy wrote:Is this a one-way action or can it be "undone" if someone changes their mind?
It can be undone, just as easily as it can be done. Just choose the other radio button.

I tried it out, and it's easy to configure, and takes effect immediately. It's a great option -- even though I put an event on every day that says "Use the new Calendar on the Tools menu at lds.org", I still occasionally get calendar requests sent using the old calendar. Now that will never happen again. Wahoo!
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

FullmerCB wrote:There is now an option for Stake Admins to 'turn off' the classic calendar and directory.
But apparently not a way for Ward Admins to "turn off" the calendar and directory at the ward level. Most likely our unit will have to wait until the end of 2011 for the classic calendar and directory to be "turned off."
nutterb

Post by nutterb »

We are using our classic website to give online directory access to senior missionary couples. I assume that if we turn off the classic site, they will not be able to access any directory information.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

jbh001 wrote:But apparently not a way for Ward Admins to "turn off" the calendar and directory at the ward level. Most likely our unit will have to wait until the end of 2011 for the classic calendar and directory to be "turned off."
I just turned off the classic calendar and directory on the stake admin page, then logged on to my ward classic site... The ward directory and calendar now link to the new sites.... If you can persuade your stake web administrator to follow this simple procedure, you won't have to wait until the end of the year.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

jbh001 wrote:But apparently not a way for Ward Admins to "turn off" the calendar and directory at the ward level. Most likely our unit will have to wait until the end of 2011 for the classic calendar and directory to be "turned off."

It's an "all or nothing" deal. When the stake makes the switch, then all ward/branch sites in the stake will also be redirected to the new LDS.org directory/calendars.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

As the stake web administrator, I made this change at the stake level, but when I go to another ward in the stake and click on the calendar or directory in the classic LUWS, it opens the directory or calendar for MY ward. If they know how to do it, they can easily find the directory for their own ward, but not the calendar. Did I miss a step or should this be reported to the help link?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

zaneclark wrote:As the stake web administrator, I made this change at the stake level, but when I go to another ward in the stake and click on the calendar or directory in the classic LUWS, it opens the directory or calendar for MY ward. If they know how to do it, they can easily find the directory for their own ward, but not the calendar. Did I miss a step or should this be reported to the help link?
With the new Calendar, there is no way for anyone to see calendars for other wards. In fact, there is no concept of a calendar for another ward -- you are always just looking at your set of subscribed calendars, which may be any combination of calendars from the stake or your ward, but never for another ward. So it makes sense that the LUWS calendar link would simply take you to the calendar. Nothing else is possible. So there is nothing to report -- it is working properly, given that the new Calendar works so differently from the LUWS calendar.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
FullmerCB
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by FullmerCB »

In the future, the new calendar will enable stake leaders to see calendars in wards other than their own.

The ability for a ward leader to grant permission to members within their stake (but not in their ward & not in a stake leadership position) to see their ward calendars may also be provided. This fall at earliest.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”