Priesthood Lessons (47 in the JS manual)

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

mkmurray wrote:One thing to take in consideration is that not everything is done under strict policy or careful design.

Don't get me wrong. I imagine the design, layout, format, and content of the site went under heavy planning, approval, and QA. That probably applies to almost every single part of the site. But sometimes it's the way it is because some developer or manager had the freedom to design it how they wanted and others thought it looked fine.

I guess all I'm saying is that I think it is a bad assumption that every design detail was linked to some present or future policy.

But that doesn't mean you can't ask here if it was? ;)
mkmurray is correct. In fact, the whole LUWS side will be drastically redesigned (with a lot of the input from these forums) to compensate for the flaws and lack of needed features in the current system. I've made curriculum and the priesthood departments aware of this thread.

Tom
dobrichelovek

Still don't have all the answers, but mission accomplished.

Post by dobrichelovek »

tomw wrote:mkmurray is correct. In fact, the whole LUWS side will be drastically redesigned (with a lot of the input from these forums) to compensate for the flaws and lack of needed features in the current system. I've made curriculum and the priesthood departments aware of this thread.

Tom
Tom and mkmurray,

Thank you for your comments.

I guess I made some assumptions that may or may not be accurate, and at the very least, the point has been made to those that matter. In accordance with the principle of stewardships, I have done my duty in making the issues clear and will now let others (whom Tom has brought attention of this to) address them as they need to. :)

That isn't to say that I wouldn't jump at the chance to help out if there was something I could help with. :D

At the very least, hopefully someone who is looking for instruction on how to implement the Stake/District level lesson schedule will be aided a little by this thread. Many of you have helped me out tremendously.

Thanks.

-Nic
dobrichelovek

The Stake has implemented the lessons and other things. YAY!

Post by dobrichelovek »

My bringing attention of the issues of the Lesson schedule and other items to the Stake seems to have helped encourage coming up with a stance. The Stake posted lessons for the rest of the year and have started with lessons for next year also. I wasn't asked, and I don't have any reason to get involved further. I'm just glad that there was a decision to get active with using the site. Now I hope that the rewrite is actually making progress. Any progress on that?

Admittedly, I still got a comment from one of those at the Stake level stating that although there is support for these parts of the website, there are also significant reservations surrounding the current design (many elements which have elsewhere on these forums been addressed) and the confusion for those not so technically literate having to go to the website in the first place, and secondarily having to navigate the separate calendars of building/resource reservation and activities. I appreciate these reservations, but I feel that it is as much a chicken and egg problem where:

1) If it is built right (GO v.2!)
2) If it is supported right

The websites will be used more and more and will become the primary tool for sharing and providing information within the units while not excluding those without computer access. (Not excluding inasmuch as they will still be able to do what they have done the same way they have done it in the past, e.g. scheduling the building by calling the building coordinator.)

Anyway, I just thought it might be nice to let you all know that providing clear and cogent information to the Stake was received well and acted upon. I'm glad I did it and it has made a difference.:)
margiestroble

PH/RS Lesson Manuals and Lesson Schedules

Post by margiestroble »

Several years ago, it was either posted on lds.org or there was a letter sent out stating to give the lesson of The Life and Ministry of ... whatever prophet for that year ... on the first Sunday of January. So, since then, that's what our ward does. We have always had every lesson in the book without doubling up. Whenever we have Stake or Ward Conference on the 2nd or 3rd Sunday, we go ahead and have a lesson from the manual on the 1st Sunday instead of having a presidency lesson. It works out perfectly. I've already done the lesson schedule for 2008, which uses 1/2 of the new manual, the other 1/2 is for 2009. Our Stake President told us not to skip any of the lessons in the manual, so this is how we've handled the situation.

Our Stake does not list the PH/RS lessons on the webpages either because with every ward having ward conference on different dates, etc, it can cause confusion. It would be wonderful if that feature would be done on the ward level, such as the Sunday School Lesson feature is.
JasonG-p40

Post by JasonG-p40 »

It's been a while since I checked, but I believe our stake leaves the lessons out as well. Our ward puts up lesson schedules for the RS though, and the EQ typically goes ahead and just follows the same plan.
Jason D. Griffith
Pampa Ward, Amarillo Stake (Texas)
Community Guidelines
jstephen-p40

Stake Scheduling of Priesthood and RS Lessons

Post by jstephen-p40 »

This has probably been addressed before, but I want to maybe understand why there has been no change.

I do not think it is possible for the stake to be responsible for the scheduling of these lessons. There are too many variances between ward schedules to allow the stake to create a generic schedule for all wards. Even the 2nd and 3rd Sundays, which theoretically should be the same for all units in the church, will not be with different Stake and Ward Conference schedules. Then the 1st, 4th, and 5th Sundays are completely up to the ward to determine what will be taught. Why can't this be dropped down to the ward level to be maintained?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jstephen wrote:This has probably been addressed before, but I want to maybe understand why there has been no change.

I do not think it is possible for the stake to be responsible for the scheduling of these lessons. There are too many variances between ward schedules to allow the stake to create a generic schedule for all wards. Even the 2nd and 3rd Sundays, which theoretically should be the same for all units in the church, will not be with different Stake and Ward Conference schedules. Then the 1st, 4th, and 5th Sundays are completely up to the ward to determine what will be taught. Why can't this be dropped down to the ward level to be maintained?

This has been discussed at some length on another thread. There a concept is discussed where stakes would set an initial schedule, and wards could then override any particular week's lesson. I think that would be ideal.

Also, I would disagree just a wee bit with your statement about 1st/4th/5th Sundays -- in particular, the 4th Sunday curriculum can be set by the stake president. See lds.org for details.
gamoody

Post by gamoody »

How does the Overide work? Is this a website feature or a word of mouth, ' hey never mind what the website says.'? I hope it is a mechnism in the website as the other way is sending a mixed message.
opee

Post by opee »

gamoody wrote:How does the Overide work? Is this a website feature or a word of mouth, ' hey never mind what the website says.'? I hope it is a mechnism in the website as the other way is sending a mixed message.

The "override" is NOT the ability of the ward to modify the Lesson Schedule in the LUWS. It refers to the ability for the individual units to modify the schedule according to their needs--as you put it, "by word of mouth"--(due to Ward Conferences, etc.)
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

gamoody wrote:How does the Overide work? Is this a website feature or a word of mouth, ' hey never mind what the website says.'? I hope it is a mechnism in the website as the other way is sending a mixed message.

If you follow the link I provided to the other thread, you'll see that this override concept is only a proposal -- it is definitely not the way LUWS's work right now. But the proposal is indeed for the way the web site would work, if this were implemented.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”