Request - Remove Classic LUWS Now (optional)

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

mrrad wrote:This raises the question: How will the classic Ward/Stake sites be phased out when the time comes? Will they just disappear as soon as the new versions appear in the non-classic LDS.org site? Will there be a warning a few days/weeks before the old ones go away?
If the experience with the new calendar is an indicator, it tells us there will be plenty of time to make the transition and to get aquainted with the new format. We already have the opportunity to use two of the most dominant modules of the new site. As with the transition to the new calendar, I expect there will be a message sent out explaining the timeline and a period where aspects of the site will be accessable for familiarization. So I don't think the new site will just be there one day and the old gone. The home page may make the transition in that manner but the modules will most likely be accessable with an overlap with the old.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

But we're already in the transition/overlap period. I wonder how it will end.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

It feels like we're already in the overlap period. The classic web sites are only needed now because they haven't been fully replaced yet. But as soon as we have a new way to post lesson schedules, news, etc. AND the meetinghouse look-up function leads to some new version of our ward web site THEN I will waste no time to abandon the classic site. Meanwhile, I feel a certain obligation to keep the classic site up-to-date. But I only update the calendar on a month-by-month basis. I'll wait a couple more weeks to make sure the March calendar is accurate.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

mrrad wrote:It feels like we're already in the overlap period.
You are correct. But for the sake of discussion, the classic LUWS home page is the only part that will most likely change over night. All the modules needed for the new site are being developed separately. The calendar and the directory are the first two to become available.
mrrad wrote:The classic web sites are only needed now because they haven't been fully replaced yet. But as soon as we have a new way to post lesson schedules, news, etc. AND the meetinghouse look-up function leads to some new version of our ward web site THEN I will waste no time to abandon the classic site. Meanwhile, I feel a certain obligation to keep the classic site up-to-date. But I only update the calendar on a month-by-month basis. I'll wait a couple more weeks to make sure the March calendar is accurate.
Each unit can decide locally how they want to transition. Personally I would not want to wait until the latest moment to make that transition as there could be a bit of wailing and gnashing of teeth by members not accustomed to the new. The calendar and directory already are vastly better than the classic ones even with their bugs and missing features (features that are coming but are yet to be deployed).
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

Still, I think the original post is a valid request. Since new modules are already available, is it possible to keep the classic LUWS home pages essentially intact but simply remove directory links right now (and announce, say, that calendar links with disappear in 30 days)?

I just can't accept the idea of willfully ruining my ward's official web site links to calendars or directories. As long as my ward has an official site it reflects well on the church to keep its links fully functional and up-to-date. So the request could be "please remove the redundant links."
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

mrrad wrote:Still, I think the original post is a valid request. Since new modules are already available, is it possible to keep the classic LUWS home pages essentially intact but simply remove directory links right now (and announce, say, that calendar links with disappear in 30 days)?
To do this requires more than just simple programming. Each unit has a choice of which directory and calendar to use for 2011. Any programming effort to customize each unit would take away from already limited resources used in rolling out the replacement modules and site. The reason for giving units a choice is that the new calendar and new directory may not meet leader's desires or unit needs with the still-in-development modules. Just read the list of issues and bugs that have been discussed in other threads.
mrrad wrote:I just can't accept the idea of willfully ruining my ward's official web site links to calendars or directories.
I gather that this is an emotional statement since no one has willfully ruined any website links to the calendar and directory. Granted, users and units have a choice that, to some, may add a little confusion.
mrrad wrote:As long as my ward has an official site it reflects well on the church to keep its links fully functional and up-to-date. So the request could be "please remove the redundant links."
The links are fully functional and up-to-date. It is the responsibility of units to maintain the classic directory and classic calendar if they so desire. Any recommendations made in this thread or any other threads to get members to use the new ones after a local leadership decision has been made to use the new calendar or new directory are done so with the intent to assist the transition. If allowing members and units to have a choice between the classic and the new is being redundant then I am all in favor of redundancy. Hopefully it will all be over by the end of the year anyway.
JD Lessley
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

Not emotional. I'm just reading about "solutions" which sound more like sabotage and that makes me scratch my head. If a working link takes me to a data-free directory then that seems worse, to me, than a non-working link. The message here appears to be that, before 2011 began, we all knew it would be the year of overlap and redundancy. So there's no sense whining about it. Point taken.
preston.baxter

Post by preston.baxter »

I have now. Every day has the same "This calendar is no longer in use" event. :+)
FullmerCB
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by FullmerCB »

Today we launched a new option in the classic LUW Stake Administration page for Stake Website Admins. This option allows Stake Admins to effectively 'shut off' the classic calendar, membership directory, and leadership directory. When a stake admin does this, all members of his stake will be forwarded to the new Calendar and new Directory (respectively) when they click on the links (or type direct URLs) to go to the classic calendar or directory.

Please caution stake admins to set this option only once they have confirmed that all wards have migrated to the new tools (especially calendar events) successfully. Thanks for the good discussion & feedback. It informs our decisions & road maps here at CHQ.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

If you decide to switch to the new LDS.org calendar instead of the classic calendar, you may wish to remove everything from the classic calendar before the stake pushes the button. We have a case where a ward has a home page calendar item that is no longer valid, but still displays as the next ward calendar item in the right column of the classic home page.

To fix it, we will have to have the stake undo the redirect, edit the classic calendar to remove the item, and then have the stake redo the redirect.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”