LUWS No Longer Being Updated by CHQ

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
techgy
Community Moderators

LUWS No Longer Being Updated by CHQ

Post by techgy »

Last night I received a phone call from a previous member of our ward. He'd moved about 2 months ago to his new ward and was still having problems getting in to his new ward's LUWS (local unit web site). Each time he tried this he would be sent to his previous ward.

I checked on-line to see if his record was there and found that it was gone from the new church directory (lds.org/directory), but he was still listed in the LUWS. So I called SLC this morning to try and get this cleared up.

I was told by the support person that the church is no longer performing any updates on the LUWS. Records that are there will remain there. Wards are being asked to transition to the new directory on lds.org. I was aware of the fact that wards were encouraged to transition, but I wasn't aware that the LUWS was no longer being updated.

This is going to cause a lot of confusion until the LUWS completely disappears.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

techgy wrote:I was told by the support person that the church is no longer performing any updates on the LUWS. Records that are there will remain there. Wards are being asked to transition to the new directory on lds.org. I was aware of the fact that wards were encouraged to transition, but I wasn't aware that the LUWS was no longer being updated.

This is going to cause a lot of confusion until the LUWS completely disappears.

I can understand that CHQ might not want to update the membership directory. But LUWS is still the only system available for lesson schedules, missionary info, news and information, additional resources links, home page, etc. So they really still have to make the access work properly as people move to new wards and stakes.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

aebrown wrote:I can understand that CHQ might not want to update the membership directory. But LUWS is still the only system available for lesson schedules, missionary info, news and information, additional resources links, home page, etc. So they really still have to make the access work properly as people move to new wards and stakes.

Agreed. The site's still available, it's just that anyone who moves from a stake doesn't have access to their new ward/stake web site. They just get dumped back into their previous ward's site. The stake/ward webmasters can still perform updates. But, if you move away you can't get that information on your new ward's site.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

That's odd. Since the update should have been all automatic, I don't see why they would have cut it off. Particularly since they hadn't forced us to switch to the new directory.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

RussellHltn wrote:That's odd. Since the update should have been all automatic, I don't see why they would have cut it off. Particularly since they hadn't forced us to switch to the new directory.

I asked the same question - wasn't the update automatic? The response was NO, although he didn't elaborate.
I would appreciate hearing from someone at CHQ who's in a position to clarify this issue. The next update to the new calendar/directory isn't until around June 2011, so we're going to stuck with this issue for a while yet.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

techgy wrote:I would appreciate hearing from someone at CHQ who's in a position to clarify this issue.

I've PMed him.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

techgy wrote:I checked on-line to see if his record was there and found that it was gone from the new church directory (lds.org/directory), but he was still listed in the LUWS. So I called SLC this morning to try and get this cleared up.

I was told by the support person that the church is no longer performing any updates on the LUWS. Records that are there will remain there. Wards are being asked to transition to the new directory on lds.org. I was aware of the fact that wards were encouraged to transition, but I wasn't aware that the LUWS was no longer being updated.
If this is correct it must be a very recent development. I received the records for 2 new members of our ward on Jan 16th and both of them show up in the classic LUWS membership list and one of them shows up in the Registered Users list. However, I can't say if they actually have access to our wards website.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

techgy wrote: I was told by the support person that the church is no longer performing any updates on the LUWS.
To me that sounds like no more code updates.
techgy wrote: Records that are there will remain there.
I requested 2 families records last night via MLS and they are both showing today in LUWS.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

JonesRK wrote:To me that sounds like no more code updates.
That's far more reasonable.
techgy wrote:Last night I received a phone call from a previous member of our ward. He'd moved about 2 months ago to his new ward and was still having problems getting in to his new ward's LUWS (local unit web site). Each time he tried this he would be sent to his previous ward.

Looking back, what we haven't confirmed is that he's in his new ward. I wonder, by chance, he might have ended up in the "Address Unknown" file. Or perhaps a stake that's not on LUWS.

techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

JonesRK wrote:To me that sounds like no more code updates.

I requested 2 families records last night via MLS and they are both showing today in LUWS.

Although the suggestion of "no further updates could relate to updates in code, the support person understood (I think) the reason for my call - a membership record was showing up in the LUWS which was not in the new directory. I actually inquired as to whether or not he could remove the extra record and was told No, because no further updates were being done.

I will admit that this sounds unrealistic as I had understood that membership additions and changes to the LUWS were being handled automatically. I'm willing to make another to support and inquire again, but it would be more helpful if someone at CHQ could respond to this thread and set us all straight.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”