Ward website callings

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

danmcf wrote:I am openning IE 7 and typing in lds.org and then selecting Ward and Stake Websites . Once there is login..... Everyone that has had their calling changed in the last few months shows incorrect data.

http://lds.org/directory/?lang=eng# shows the correct information.

https://secure.lds.org/units/a/leadership shows incorrect information.
You are accessing the "classic" ward website. So the first two of jbh001's solutions is how you do it. These are identical instruction, just 2 different ways to get there. You have hit on a third. I think there are others.

What I have done for the callings in classic is to delete all of them and enter a custom calling (entered via that same website) that says to use the new directory to view callings.
jbh001 wrote:If you are accessing your "ward website" by navigating to classic.lds.org > About the Church > Stake and Ward Web Sites, callings must be updated manually by your ward's website administrator. Nothing you do in MLS will affect the callings on this website.

If you are accessing your "ward website" by navigating to lds.org > Tools > Classic LDS.org Stake and Ward Websites, callings must be updated manually by your ward's website administrator. Nothing you do in MLS will affect the callings on this website.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

danmcf wrote:I am openning IE 7 and typing in lds.org and then selecting Ward and Stake Websites . Once there is login..... Everyone that has had their calling changed in the last few months shows incorrect data.

The link you provided here is to the new ward directory. As explained by others in this thread, this information is updated from CDOL which gets its information from MLS.
danmcf wrote:I am openning IE 7 and typing in lds.org and then selecting Ward and Stake Websites . Once there is login..... Everyone that has had their calling changed in the last few months shows incorrect data.https://secure.lds.org/units/a/leadership shows incorrect information.
The link you provided here is to your unit's classic LUWS directory. The leadership directory in the classic LUWS is maintained manually by a unit website administrator. The instructions have been provided in previous posts to this thread.

The classic LUWS directory and the new directory are not linked. They each get their information from separate sources. The new directory information is "automated" in that the information entered into MLS eventually ends up being updated on the new directory. The classic LUWS directory must be maintained manually by the unit website administrator. That is the reason any changes in MLS do not show up there.
danmcf wrote:Sorry for getting cranky but everytime I ask a question on here it is followed by being told who can and cannot make a given change in MLS. No one can find anything out of place within MLS. It seems to be that we are directing people to the wrong places. The Admins need to remove are correct the link for Ward and Stake Websites on the home page of lds.org.
Please note that administrators cannot change links on the lds.org home page. This is coded by CHQ programmers (that may be what you are talking about when you say administrator). The choice of which directory to use is up to the units and the members.

The LUWS (Local Unit Web Site) is in transition from what is now being called the classic LUWS to the new. The new LUWS does not exist, at least in the form as the current classic site. It is in development. The modules, calendar and directory, that are in development have been made available to the Church membership since there are many new enhanced features available. These modules are accessed from the lds.org home page rather than from the LUWS.

Rather than having the limited number of developers spend valuable production time making the new calendar and directory available to those units who want it now and deactivating the modules of the classic LUWS they are devoting their limited resources to developing the new LUWS and modules. In doing so the decision as to which calendar and directory has been left up to the units.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Ok, that's classic LUWS. The callings there have absolutely no connection to MLS. You need to find the Ward website admin and have him/her update them manually. If you don't know who that is, then contact your stake clerk.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

danmcf wrote:I simply need to now what specific steps to take in order to correct the issue.

That is because updates to callings in MLS eventually show up at that link (usually within a few days of being transmitted by MLS, if not within minutes).

But if that link happens to show incorrect information, follow these steps:
1. Login to MLS 3.3 on your ward clerk's computer. If the version of MLS on your ward clerk's computer is anything less than MLS 3.3, then the rest of these steps won't change anything at that link.
2. Print out a Callings by Organization report to use as a hardcopy backup for step 5.
3. Do a Request Unit Refresh Data... from within MLS, and then do a Send/Receive.
4. After the Send/Receive has completed, wait at least 15 minutes and then do another Send/Receive to get the refresh. Refreshes overwrite ALL the calling and membership data in your local version of MLS with what is on file at Church headquarters.
5. Use the Callings by Organization report you printed out in step 2 to make any needed corrections.
6. Transmit any changes made in step 5 by doing another Send/Receive.
danmcf wrote:https://secure.lds.org/units/a/leadership shows incorrect information.
Calling data at that link is independent from any calling information in MLS, thus calling information at that link can only be updated manually through that website itself. Since that link is supposed to be phased out by the end of 2011, updating the callings at that link is most likely not worth the effort. But if you want to do it anyway, these are the steps:

1. Using your LDS Account credentials, sign in to your unit's classic Local Unit Web Site (LUWS).
2. In the navigation pane on the left-hand side of the screen, click the Administrator Options button.
3. In the new Administrator window that pops up (with the green background instead of blue), click on the Leadership Directory link in the navigation pane on the left-hand side of the screen.
4. In the main window, click on the link for the organization you wish to update.
5. Make any needed changes.
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 as needed until all organizations are up-to-date.
7. When you are finished making changes, close the Administrator window that popped up in step 3.
8. Repeat steps 1 thru 7 every time there is a change in the callings in your unit.

If you can't get past step 2, then convince someone else that can get past step 2 to update the Leadership Directory at that link before it disappears altogether at the end of 2011.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jbh001 wrote:That is because updates to callings in MLS eventually show up at that link (usually within a few days of being transmitted by MLS, if not within minutes).

Uh, jbh001, when I try what danmcf said "I am openning IE 7 and typing in lds.org and then selecting Ward and Stake Websites . Once there is login....." I'm taken to the Classic LUWS.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

RussellHltn wrote:Uh, jbh001, when I try what danmcf said "I am openning IE 7 and typing in lds.org and then selecting Ward and Stake Websites . Once there is login....." I'm taken to the Classic LUWS.
Regardless of how he is getting there, the first link he posted is for the new directory, the second link he posted is for the old/obsolete directory. He now has the steps he was requesting regardless of which directory he is looking at.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

This thread has been a bit frustrating with people talking past each other and failing to communicate clearly. I think it would be helpful to reframe the discussion.

There are really three basic questions being discussed here:
  1. Which site are we discussing: the Leadership Directory on the Classic Stake and Ward Websites, or the Leaders and Organizations section of the new Directory?
  2. What is the functionality of the Classic leadership directory vs. the new Directory, and what is the administrative process for changing the data associated with each?
  3. How do you navigate to each of these sites? Are the various links and URLs clearly labeled and do they do what is expected?
Here is a brief summary of where we stand on each question:

Which Site Are We Discussing?

It's now clear that the original post was about the Leadership Directory on the Classic Stake and Ward Websites. Even though that is clear, it is also helpful to discuss the new Directory by way of contrast, and to explain that some units have chosen to use only the new Directory (while others continue to use both).

The term "ward website" can unfortunately be used to refer to either, and that simple phrase is likely to become more confusing, not less, as functionality of the Classic Stake and Ward Websites migrates to the new LDS.org. So it will be good to use the distinct terms and clarify as quickly as possible. I'll use the terms "Classic Leadership Directory" and "new Directory" in the rest of this post.

What is the Functionality and How is the Data Changed?

Multiple posts have made this clear:
  • The Classic Leadership Directory must be updated manually by a website administrator for the ward or stake's classic site. It has no connection to MLS.
  • The new Directory takes its data entirely from CDOL and the linked membership records. Changes to who has what calling must currently be made by a clerk or leader with access to MLS. The new Directory is then automatically updated, with no direct administrative action on that site.
How Do You Navigate to Each Site?

You get to the new Directory in two direct ways:
and in some indirect ways:
You get to the Classic Leadership Directory in a large variety of ways:
  1. From the new LDS.org, under Quick Links on the left, go to "Ward and Stake Websites"
  2. From the new LDS.org, go to Tools > Classic Stake and Ward Websites
  3. From the new LDS.org, click the "Go to Classic LDS.org" button, then choose "Stake and Ward Websites"
  4. Go to a variety of URLs, including:
I think that option #1 causes some confusion because it is not clearly labeled as "Classic".
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Thank you Alan for that summary. I think that covers the issue as I see it. I hope that answers the questions for OP, danmcf
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”