Syncing or duplicating events

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
wrigjef

Syncing or duplicating events

Post by wrigjef »

I know it has been suggested that we not use the new calendar this year but we have some members submitting events to the old and other members submitting to the new (which it seems they can also approve). Is there a way for me as website admin to just sync all the events so everything appeasers on both?

Any way to ask Salt Lake to formally remove the new calendar till units are supposed to use it?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

wrigjef wrote:I know it has been suggested that we not use the new calendar this year

Actually, that's not the current suggestion. On Introduction to the Calendar it says: "Wards and stakes are now invited to begin using the new calendar. It will continue to mature through early 2011. The Classic Stake and Ward Web site calendar will be available through the end of 2011." Wards and stakes make their own choice.
wrigjef wrote:but we have some members submitting events to the old and other members submitting to the new (which it seems they can also approve).

No one can submit events to the new calendar, except for approvers (which are only the bishopric/clerks/website administrator at the ward level and stake presidency/clerks/website administrator at the stake level). Or additional editors can be set up, but no one should be added as a new editor unless your ward or stake has decided to use the new calendar.

I would strongly recommend that a ward or stake choose one calendar system and stick with it. And it's really best if the entire stake moves all together to the new calendar or stays on the old calendar.
wrigjef wrote: Is there a way for me as website admin to just sync all the events so everything appeasers on both?

There's a migration tool. It's intended for one-time conversion use, but some people are using it as a sort of manual sync tool. See the thread: old vs new calendars. But that's quite a hassle and is not perfect, so I'd only try that if there's no way for the whole stake to move to the new calendar completely or stay on the old calendar completely.
wrigjef wrote:Any way to ask Salt Lake to formally remove the new calendar till units are supposed to use it?

You can ask, but I really doubt this would happen. Many wards and stakes are using it right now (my stake certainly is), and removing it from the Tools menu of lds.org for only certain units would require additional development work for a temporary purpose, and would possibly impact performance.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”