Member's phone number appears on lds.org/directory but not on the old LUWS

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
psnarula
Member
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:11 pm
Location: Wiesbaden, Germany

Member's phone number appears on lds.org/directory but not on the old LUWS

Postby psnarula » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:05 am

The subject says it all. We have a member whose phone number appears at lds.org/directory but not on the old local unit website (https://secure.lds.org/units). Some of our leaders are still using the old website (not sure why, but nevertheless it is true). Is this something that I, as the clerk, can fix?

The phone number definitely exists in MLS. Last week I updated the phone number in MLS by changing it and then putting it back to the correct phone number. I had hoped that syncing with SLC would force this to show up in the old website but it didn't work.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20757
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:58 am

Was this entered as a "personal" phone number or a "household" phone number? At least in the US, the old website does not support the "personal" phone numbers. The new website supports both.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

psnarula
Member
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:11 pm
Location: Wiesbaden, Germany

Postby psnarula » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:12 am

RussellHltn wrote:Was this entered as a "personal" phone number or a "household" phone number? At least in the US, the old website does not support the "personal" phone numbers. The new website supports both.


household phone number

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14692
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:17 am

psnarula wrote:The subject says it all. We have a member whose phone number appears at lds.org/directory but not on the old local unit website (https://secure.lds.org/units). Some of our leaders are still using the old website (not sure why, but nevertheless it is true). Is this something that I, as the clerk, can fix?

The phone number definitely exists in MLS. Last week I updated the phone number in MLS by changing it and then putting it back to the correct phone number. I had hoped that syncing with SLC would force this to show up in the old website but it didn't work.


The old LUWS has options that control the display of various fields of contact information on a household basis. It's entirely possible that the household in question has the display of the phone number turned off. For each household, there are checkboxes to specify:

  • Do not show anything about this Family on the Web site
  • Do not show home address
  • Do not show telephone number
  • Do not show spouse's name
  • Do not show children's names
If you are a ward website administrator, then this is definitely something you can fix. The administrator help page explains how to change these options (these steps assume you are already on the administrator page for the ward):
Do the following to remove member information from the member directory:

  1. Click Membership Directory.
  2. When the Membership Directory appears, find the family that requested the change of information.
  3. Click Change.
  4. When the Change Display screen appears, enter information in the appropriate fields.
  5. Click the appropriate display options.
  6. Click Submit, and you will be returned to the Membership Directory screen
  7. Determine whether the changes have been made. On the administrator's screen, items that will not show on the users screen are gray, instead of black. If you are not sure whether the changes have been made, go to the user's screens (the top and side sashes are blue) and see if the changes have been made.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

psnarula
Member
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:11 pm
Location: Wiesbaden, Germany

Postby psnarula » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:05 am

I logged in to the admin page (green background) and found this family in the directory. I clicked "change" but all of the checkboxes that would hide information were unchecked...

preston.baxter
Member
Posts: 98
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:55 pm
Location: Independence, Oregon, USA

Postby preston.baxter » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:51 pm

I had noticed a glitch where deleting a personal phone number did NOT remove the number from the classic directory. At the time I was told it was a known bug in the software. (Now I suspect it was a minor bug that was insignificant compared to all the work on the new website!!!) I have been steering people to the NEW website, since those numbers are showing up correctly. There's little more than I can do but keep apologizing to the rather upset community member who keeps getting calls for Sister so-and-so ...

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20757
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:40 am

preston.baxter wrote:There's little more than I can do but keep apologizing to the rather upset community member who keeps getting calls for Sister so-and-so ...


In the classic LUWS, the website admin can hide information about members. Normally this is to comply with a member's request, but this sounds like a good reason to use it.
Have you searched the Wiki?

Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

preston.baxter
Member
Posts: 98
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:55 pm
Location: Independence, Oregon, USA

Postby preston.baxter » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:33 am

Excellent suggestion; thanks!


Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest