Email Address on Front Page

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

RussellHltn wrote:That's what I was thinking of. Keeping in mind that no email is a valid resolution.

Validation of email would be good. I've seen at least one bad email that was clearly a typo. (they misspelled ".com") At minimum use double-entry.

As another idea to make it more streamlined, maybe don't send them any announcements to an unconfirmed email. I.E. They have to click a confirmation link before they can receive announcements. That way you'd only get bounces if they change emails or their mailbox overflows.
- David
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

margiestroble wrote:That's a great idea. I have reminded a number of people multiple times to please update their email address and few ever do. If something such as this were to be put into place, then it would give the user a much stronger reason to update their email address.

Also, for those people who had email at the time they registered on the webpage, but for whatever reason, they don't have email any longer, it would be good for the admins to be able to check a box that would remove that person from the email feature or notifications sent from the webpage, and also to not allow their email address to show. There are other boxes that the admins can check to say don't show this person's address, phone number, etc, so if we could have the email included, that would be a help.

Or best the system after receiving 2 or more bouces jsut disables that email automatically like yahoo groups or google groups does. Of course that would mean the bouces would have to be returned to the LUWS but I think that would be better than the admin receiving all the bounces in the first place.
- David
margiestroble

Post by margiestroble »

thedqs wrote:Or best the system after receiving 2 or more bouces jsut disables that email automatically like yahoo groups or google groups does. Of course that would mean the bouces would have to be returned to the LUWS but I think that would be better than the admin receiving all the bounces in the first place.
Well, I think the admins would enjoy not getting the bounces, but are the people at LUWS ready for all of those bounces?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

margiestroble wrote:it would be good for the admins to be able to check a box that would remove that person from the email feature or notifications sent from the webpage, and also to not allow their email address to show.
I don't see why that can't be included in the "invalid email function" I mentioned. Off hand I can't see why one would want on and not the other.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

thedqs wrote:Or best the system after receiving 2 or more bouces jsut disables that email automatically like yahoo groups or google groups does. Of course that would mean the bouces would have to be returned to the LUWS but I think that would be better than the admin receiving all the bounces in the first place.
Works for me! Same idea, just automatically instead of manual by the Admin.

Just one minor detail, there's a lot of different "bounce" formats out there. I've even seen one message that includes all the bounces for that domain. The automatic system would have to be able to at least gracefully deal with that.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

margiestroble wrote:Well, I think the admins would enjoy not getting the bounces, but are the people at LUWS ready for all of those bounces?

It would just be the software that would receive the bounces and parse the response and deactivate those email accounts. It is possible as I mentioned before since both google groups and yahoo groups will disable you email if it bounces too much. And most bounce messages come in a certian format anyway.
- David
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

RussellHltn wrote:I don't see why that can't be included in the "invalid email function" I mentioned. Off hand I can't see why one would want on and not the other.

I think it was the same idea just too far towards the beginning of the thread.
- David
margiestroble

Post by margiestroble »

thedqs wrote:It would just be the software that would receive the bounces and parse the response and deactivate those email accounts. It is possible as I mentioned before since both google groups and yahoo groups will disable you email if it bounces too much. And most bounce messages come in a certian format anyway.
Ok, this sounds like it could work then :)
ericb

Post by ericb »

RussellHltn wrote:This has probably been mentioned before, but something else I'd like to see is some kind of email alias when sending from the website. As it stands now, the emails all go out with the name of the administrator that approved the message.

Yes, I couldn't agree more! Having a user and email tied to the website (rather than a member) would be a much better option.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”