Email Broadcast on New Site?

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
sammythesm

Email Broadcast on New Site?

Post by sammythesm »

I can't seem to locate the email broadcast function on the new site. Is it not available? I'm having to click over to the old website to send out an email broadcast.

I can send out a message from the new website (which includes everyone's emails in the "To" field), but can't seem to locate a way to send an email to all the ward (and not expose everyone's email address)
maybd

Post by maybd »

I haven't been able to find the solution either. My other issue is that not all of the auxiliaries are represented in the groups listed, at least not from a stake perspective. I can't get things to the ward YM/YW or ward mission leaders, without going to the old system that is.
kisaac
Community Moderators

email in infancy....

Post by kisaac »

WhiteEyebrows wrote:I can't seem to locate the email broadcast function on the new site. Is it not available? I'm having to click over to the old website to send out an email broadcast.

I can send out a message from the new website (which includes everyone's emails in the "To" field), but can't seem to locate a way to send an email to all the ward (and not expose everyone's email address)
The email functions in the new lds.org seem to be in their infancy, and I hope they will be updated. I'm excited about what we have now, and I am patient that eventually all the bugs will be fixed. For now, send feedback via the feedback link when you find issues such as this.

1) There is no "broadcast email" function that will email your ward, that I've found.
2) The emailing features does display every email, including those emails that people have selected to have "hidden," but are still available to leaders. This "email leaking" always entices somebody to copy the list for their own uses (and probably.....SPAM.)

The emailing options:
1) You can use the "send a message" function in the "Leader and clerk resources" tool, https://lds.org/leader?lang=eng, available to bishopric and "extended bishopric" (clerk and secretary) members. This allows emailing leadership groups such as YM, or Ward Council members, or select individual members. There is no ALL USERS emil option. To my knowledge it does not yet send BCC (blind carbon copy) emails, but lists everyone's email at the top. I've submitted this as a bug months ago. These emails are sent from the church's system, with your email as the sender.

2) You can also email from the directory to specific ward or stake leadership groups, but it will open and use your personal email client to send it. (mailto)

The new calendar has an email notification feature you can use, and it seems to come BCC, so perhaps an update of these features will be forthcoming. Open any existing event or add a new event, and select to send an email notification to all calendar subscribers now, or at some later date.

NOTE: these features are changing rapidly, so if this message is very old, it probably is out of date!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

kisaac wrote:You can also email from the directory to specific ward or stake leadership groups, but it will open and use your personal email client to send it. (mailto)
Unless I'm missing something, the problem with "mailto" is it requires an installed client. If you're using a web service like gmail, hotmail, yahoo, etc you may not have connected any locally installed clients to it - so it won't work.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
n.oliver

Post by n.oliver »

Actually, Gmail and Yahoo mail both work with mailto: links in Firefox,
probably similar in Chrome if its not available by default
http://lifehacker.com/392287/set-firefox-3-to-launch-gmail-for-mailto-links
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

RussellHltn wrote:Unless I'm missing something, the problem with "mailto" is it requires an installed client. If you're using a web service like gmail, hotmail, yahoo, etc you may not have connected any locally installed clients to it - so it won't work.
Yes, MAILTO: requires an installed client
n.oliver wrote:Actually, Gmail and Yahoo mail both work with mailto: links in Firefox,
probably similar in Chrome if its not available by default
http://lifehacker.com/392287/set-firefo ... ilto-links
Thanks for the link, but I don't think I get around to it...I'll just copy the email and past it into my gmail line for the very few times MAILTO: is the only option.
jasonhyer

Post by jasonhyer »

Does anybody else have the issue where you select a list of people and if you have lots of people that don't have email addresses or have chosen to keep their email address private, the notification window showing this pushes the button to send the email off the page?
maybd

Post by maybd »

jasonhyer wrote:Does anybody else have the issue where you select a list of people and if you have lots of people that don't have email addresses or have chosen to keep their email address private, the notification window showing this pushes the button to send the email off the page?

I've seen that as well. You just need to collapse the box showing the emails back down and you'll see all of the buttons again. Quirky to say the least.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

maybd wrote:I've seen that as well. You just need to collapse the box showing the emails back down and you'll see all of the buttons again. Quirky to say the least.
I've also seen it scroll too far off, and I can't get to the send button, even by collapsing all the boxes...more then quirky, a definite bug. We need to remember that we must submit these bugs as feedback in the application, as that is the way to get this info to the developers.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

kisaac wrote:I've also seen it scroll too far off, and I can't get to the send button, even by collapsing all the boxes...more then quirky, a definite bug.
This is indeed a bug and I hope it will be fixed soon.

But one other tip for when you have difficulty seeing the Send button: use your browser's Zoom Out button (on Firefox it is Ctrl+-) which may shrink the page enough that the Send button becomes visible (you may need to zoom out more than once). Then you can click the Send button and at least get your message sent. It's ugly, but might help in some cases to get your work done while you are patiently waiting for the developers to fix the bug.
kisaac wrote: We need to remember that we must submit these bugs as feedback in the application, as that is the way to get this info to the developers.
A good reminder!
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”