I could see it working something like the following:
- A testbed or test harness is provided to developers, along with a set of guidelines and standards
- The developer develops applications on the test system in accordance with policies and guidelines
- The developer flags the application as ready for approval
- Once audited/approved by appropriate officials, the plugin could be made available to LUWS and stored in an appropriate version control system
- Optionally, different units could participate in beta testing the plugins
- The developer could still make improvements and submit patches which could then be tested and/or approved by officials and pushed out to LUWS.
- Optionally, each plugin could be allowed/disallowed by the stake and/or ward