Next Revision Unit Web Sites Wish List

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
jamiecking76
Location: North Augusta, SC, United States (North Augusta Ward)

Post by jamiecking76 »

scion wrote:I'd like to be able to post separate email addresses for some family members. In addition to a home phone option, cell phone options for family members would be helpful. This would be particularly helpful for households with multiple adults. Not everyone has a home phone anymore, but many American households have multiple cell phones.

I have to admit, this is what we're all waiting for...but I was just thinking about it...LUWS in a way already shows the individual email addresses....How????

Well, my wife has an acct and I have an acct...it shows two envelopes by our names on the ward website meaning that we both have an email address each. The only thing is...the members have to have an acct of their own, which of course requires an email address when you register to use the ward website. And if each member of the household has registered for an acct on the LUWS, their email address will be posted...that is...if they have opted for it, when they registered.

Just a thought for you and it does make a lot of sense.

MLS doesn't have this feature yet...and I think that's what is being worked on now, to allow MLS show the individual email addresses.

Thanks for letting me share my $0.02.

Jamie
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

n.augusta.wardtech wrote:LUWS in a way already shows the individual email addresses....How????
MLS doesn't have this feature yet...and I think that's what is being worked on now, to allow MLS show the individual email addresses.
MLS 3.1 does have individual email addresses. It's been available for only a couple of weeks, so it's understandable that you might not have heard about it.

However, there is at present no connection between the e-mail addresses stored in MLS and those in LUWS. Those in LUWS are set up by each registered user as part of their profile; those in MLS are entered by a ward clerk. They are not synchronized at all -- but it certainly would be helpful if they were.
jamiecking76

Post by jamiecking76 »

lajackson wrote:I propose a much simpler solution. Let the Admin flag an e-mail address that bounces. He does not even need to know what the e-mail address is. He just goes to the user and flags the e-mail off.

Then, let the user know the next time s/he logs in that the e-mail has been deactivated and needs to be changed. The user can unflag the address (if it is correct and temporarily bounced) or change the address (which would also unflag it).

This way, the Admin does not have to worry about more than one bounce, and the Admin does not have to worry if the member does not care any longer. When the member cares again, or moves, or whatever, the member can still access the site.

That maybe so...but don't you think that this is forcing them to do something??? I discussed this a bit further with the 2nd counselor. He first suggested to contact the individual by phone and explain the situation. Ask them to update their profile with a current email address.

Now, some in my ward are not using the website as much and it makes me wonder if some of them have been offended in some way about it and that's why I don't get much response from it.

Now for the ones that I cannot contact (no phone or snail mail address), I have thought about doing what you said. I think this would be the only time you would disable the account and then let the user come to you to have their account reactivated.

Thanks,
Jamie
jamiecking76

Post by jamiecking76 »

RussellHltn wrote:You might want to direct them to the "feedback" link.
mkmurray wrote:As I believe that email automatically goes to the Ward Website Administrator.

Oooh...thanks for the info....now I can edit the one piece of info to have them click on Feedback.

It's nice to know that I am learning something new everday.:)
jamiecking76

Post by jamiecking76 »

Alan_Brown wrote:MLS 3.1 does have individual email addresses. It's been available for only a couple of weeks, so it's understandable that you might not have heard about it.

However, there is at present no connection between the e-mail addresses stored in MLS and those in LUWS. Those in LUWS are set up by each registered user as part of their profile; those in MLS are entered by a ward clerk. They are not synchronized at all -- but it certainly would be helpful if they were.

Yeah, the 2nd counselor just told me about it today. Right now, I don't have access to MLS, but they are working to get me access to it soon. And then, guess who has the job of helping the ward clerk of updating the MLS with the individual email addresses? It comes with the territory.

I tell you...being the ward administrator has been a very blessed calling.

Jamie
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

If I remember correctly:

Feedback from User Screen in Ward Website -> Ward LUWS Admin
Feedback from Admin Screen in Ward Website - > Stake LUWS Admin
Feedback from User Screen in Stake Website -> Stake LUWS Admin
Feedback from Admin Screen in Stake Website - > CHQ
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jamiecking76

Post by jamiecking76 »

RussellHltn wrote:I assumed the person asking was a the Website Administrator, but I guess since non-Admins can write-up a News item", the assumption may not be valid.

Just because I am the ward website administrator for the ward I attend, doesn't mean that I have to know the different program codings to use. My knowledge is limited to HTML. Someday I plan on broadening my scope when it comes to programming on the web.

This thread has given me a lots of info and ideas on how to get more participation with the ward website and I am hoping that as some of the suggestions are implemented with the newer version, we will get more participation. (At least I can dream, can't I?)

Jamie
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

n.augusta.wardtech wrote:He first suggested to contact the individual by phone and explain the situation. Ask them to update their profile with a current email address.
When I send a broadcast message, I get 100 bounces. I will not call them.
n.augusta.wardtech wrote:Now for the ones that I cannot contact (no phone or snail mail address), I have thought about doing what you said. I think this would be the only time you would disable the account and then let the user come to you to have their account reactivated.
I will not disable their account for an e-mail issue. I have requested an option as administrator to turn off their bad e-mail address so that I do not have to deal with the bounces.

Because I am not willing to disable the accounts, and because I cannot deal with the bounces, I simply do not use the LUWS e-mail broadcast system.

When it is fixed, I will begin using it.

For the record, the other reason I do not use the system is because there is no way to control the timing of the messages if we load next year's calendar all at once. Sending messages now for next October's activities is not worth even the electrons that would be disturbed. [grin]

All of these issues have been presented to the developers. We report. They decide. I exercise my agency.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

RussellHltn wrote:If I remember correctly:

Feedback from User Screen in Ward Website -> Ward LUWS Admin
Feedback from Admin Screen in Ward Website - > Stake LUWS Admin
Feedback from User Screen in Stake Website -> Stake LUWS Admin
Feedback from Admin Screen in Stake Website - > CHQ
You remember correctly.
atom88-p40

Ward Picture directory - picture improvements

Post by atom88-p40 »

There is a Ward Picture directory option available on the ward/stake website. You have to be an administrator in order to add pictures. Also be aware of the limit of 135 x 180 pixels in place for each picture.

I would personally like to see them change this to a filesize based limit or else something larger. It is almost IMPOSSIBLE to see a family of 5-10 people's faces at that size.

Also, I would suggest cropping down the picture and/or resizing it only the person's face due to the above limitation, otherwise the picture directory is almost useless as faces are indistinguishable.

Also, allow the picture to remain attached to a member's information if they change ward's. The new stake/ward clerk has to re-upload a member's picture if they move.

This is kind of annoying and makes for duplicate work everytime a member moves.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”