Next Revision Unit Web Sites Wish List

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
jamiecking76
Location: North Augusta, SC, United States (North Augusta Ward)

Html???

Post by jamiecking76 »

Is there a way to submit a link or use html on the ward website. For example, say I wanted to add an email link in there. I tried putting the html coding that I knew and it wouldn't recognize it. I was going under the Message section to put a link for the members to be able to email me if they had issues with the ward website.

Thanks,
Jamie

PS - If there is not a way, is it possible for them to provide a means to do that?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

n.augusta.wardtech wrote:Is there a way to submit a link or use html on the ward website. For example, say I wanted to add an email link in there. I tried putting the html coding that I knew and it wouldn't recognize it. I was going under the Message section to put a link for the members to be able to email me if they had issues with the ward website.
You can do some limited HTML in News and Information items, calendar events, and a couple of other places. However, one of the limitations is that <a> tags are not allowed, so that means no links.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

n.augusta.wardtech wrote:I was going under the Message section to put a link for the members to be able to email me if they had issues with the ward website.
You might want to direct them to the "feedback" link.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

RussellHltn wrote:You might want to direct them to the "feedback" link.
As I believe that email automatically goes to the Ward Website Administrator.
nutterb

Post by nutterb »

Alan_Brown wrote:You can do some limited HTML in News and Information items, calendar events, and a couple of other places. However, one of the limitations is that <a> tags are not allowed, so that means no links.
Should we not be using the java script coding? ie

Code: Select all

Oops...nevermind.  Read ahead and you'll understand.
I have been using this format for adding links to e-mail addresses within LUWS, or to other Church sites (such as LDS Account). Is this one of those little nuggets we shouldn't advertise too loudly?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

nutterb wrote:Should we not be using the java script coding? ie
Is this one of those little nuggets we shouldn't advertise too loudly?
I debated whether or not to mention that technique in my message. I decided not to because of this post from a Church employee. Although his 2007 prediction did not come true in a timely manner, I still am wary of the technique because it circumvents the Church's rather clear intention to disallow links.

P.S. I hope you don't mind, but I fixed up your post so that the : p did not get interpreted as a smiley.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mkmurray wrote:As I believe that email automatically goes to the Ward Website Administrator.
I assumed the person asking was a the Website Administrator, but I guess since non-Admins can write-up a News item", the assumption may not be valid.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
nutterb

Post by nutterb »

Alan_Brown wrote:I debated whether or not to mention that technique in my message. I decided not to because of this post from a Church employee. Although his 2007 prediction did not come true in a timely manner, I still am wary of the technique because it circumvents the Church's rather clear intention to disallow links.
I always forget about those code tags.

Thanks for pointing me to that post, as well. I hadn't seen that one.
P.S. I hope you don't mind, but I fixed up your post so that the : p did not get interpreted as a smiley.
and I hope you don't mind, but I undid your work by removing the code entirely. In light of new information, we can just let that be a dirty little secret.
LDSDAN-p40

Ideas

Post by LDSDAN-p40 »

This is comming from a stake perspective.
1. Not all wards have dedicated web masters. It would be helpful if the leadership pulled from MLS automaticly.
2. We often will post an entire year's of events on the calendar at once. Can this be imported?
3. It would be great if you could specify when the email reminder goes out. 1 day or 1 week etc. The emails delivered could be weeks or months before the actual event and setting a delivery would be more useful.
4. Often the 4th Sunday topics focus on a conference talk. If we use HTML to specify a link to a conference talk, does it translate?
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

LDSDAN wrote:4. Often the 4th Sunday topics focus on a conference talk. If we use HTML to specify a link to a conference talk, does it translate?
a la Facebook links? That would be nice.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”