Next Revision Unit Web Sites Wish List

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
cognifloyd

SMS/texting and YSA

Post by cognifloyd »

Hello!
I'm the co-chair of the YSA Regional Council where I live. We have started organizing to send out not just e-mail broadcasts but SMS/text message broadcasts. This involves collecting the phone number and carrier of every YSA in the region and collecting them in my, or someone's e-mail address book. I posted the following on the wiki:
Other Communication Mediums: ie send broadcasts via SMS/text messaging, Facebook, twitter, etc. On an opt-in basis (ie choose which groups you want SMS, which you want e-mail) if someone specifies there mobile number and the carrier, e-mails can be sent that get forwarded as SMS. see: e-mail to sms how-to and some carrier addresses and other carrier addresses and a carrier lookup tool

It would be nice to have some page on LUWS where the council could post announcements on upcoming activities and collect such information. We considered a Facebook page, as just about everyone in this age group has a facebook and they could join the YSA group to receive announcements, but it seems that's prohibited with the First Presidency's policy 'No external websites or e-mail groups'. I posted the following on the wiki:
Organizations like the YSA Regional Council (including single adults of several stakes) need a way to do e-mail Broadcasts as well.

The problem here is that the group doesn't exactly follow the divisions of stakes/wards.

I also sub-categorized some of the suggestions on the wiki, grouping similar requests together within the main topic. See what you think: https://tech.lds.org/wiki/index.php/LUW ... uggestions

Thanks!
Jacob Floyd
scion-p40

Post by scion-p40 »

When traveling, I find the yahoo, google, or facebook pages/groups for SA in the area. As a visitor, I cannot view the ward websites, so I find these handy. Most are closed and require approval to join. Then I remove myself from the group after I leave town. Mighty handy.
brentsor-p40

Post by brentsor-p40 »

kh_design wrote:Stake and Ward Web Sites’ Leadership Directory updated automatically from what is entered in the MLS organizations.

This has likely been requested many times.
I agree that "Stake and Ward Web Sites’ Leadership Directory should be updated automatically from what is entered in the MLS organizations."

This is the best Idea I've read on this so far, but seems to be getting little attention. It seems to me that some of these "neat" and "sensational" ideas are getting more attention than fundamental efficiency opportunities such as that would have a great impact accross all units in the church.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

brentsor wrote:This is the best Idea I've read on this so far, but seems to be getting little attention. It seems to me that some of these "neat" and "sensational" ideas are getting more attention than fundamental efficiency opportunities such as that would have a great impact accross all units in the church.
It's not as simple as you would think. Unfortunately, the two systems seemed to have been designed separate from each other, and trying to synchronize them has taken quite a bit of planning.

However, Church developers have taken the first major roadblock to this feature out of the way with the release of the latest version of MLS, which strongly encourages the use of standardized callings over custom-created ones. How would the Church know you're a second counselor in the bishopric if your current position is not the 2nd Counselor standard position, but something custom like "Counselor over Sunday School"?

With this groundwork laid, I imagine the Church development team may be well on their way of implementing this synchronization.
brentsor-p40

MLS Leadership Feed to Ward/Stake Website

Post by brentsor-p40 »

Stake and Ward Web Sites’ Leadership Directory updated automatically from what is entered in the MLS organizations.

Does anyone know if/when this is going to happen. This seems like it should be a top priority. It seems like an easy fix and will save everyone alot of time. Thanks.
rickross-p40

calendar suggestions

Post by rickross-p40 »

I'm sorry if these suggestions already appeared...after 10 minutes of looking at this thread I determined I didn't have time to read all 25 pages of responses over the last 2 years.

It would be nice if there were easier/quicker ways to get things entered onto a ward or stake calendar. It takes several hours to enter the data to populate a stake calendar for the coming year.

One example would be to allow a free-text entry field, similar to what google calendars does, to allow someone to enter something like "jan 26 2010 7pm Stake YW Activity", and have the system create the event on the calendar. If free-form is too much trouble, even a structured input where the user always has to use the same format, like MMM DD YYYY TT:TT "Description of event" or something like that would still be very helpful.

Another thing would be to allow CSV imports. That would allow someone to build a yearly ward or stake calendar in one of many handy offline calendar tools, where it is much easier/quicker to build and change a calendar, then once the calendar is basically completed, use CSV to transfer it to the ward or stake calendar.

(incidentally, I use the CSV export feature to get a copy of our stake calendar and put in google calendars so I can overlay it on my other google calendars. But I found I had to write a small conversion script to change the format between what the stake website outputs and what google requires as input. But it is still very nice to have the csv output from the stake website.)

Also, I concur with some of the comments I saw in the very beginning of this thread asking for a better way to deal with recurring events. The ability to change one event in a series is very helpful. Today one has to literally create every event individually if he wants the ability to change them individually. The previous idea to allow the creation of mulitiple individual events as an option for the series event creation tool might be a good compromise.

Thanks for considering these suggestions.

Rick
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

rickross wrote:
Another thing would be to allow CSV imports. That would allow someone to build a yearly ward or stake calendar in one of many handy offline calendar tools, where it is much easier/quicker to build and change a calendar, then once the calendar is basically completed, use CSV to transfer it to the ward or stake calendar.

(incidentally, I use the CSV export feature to get a copy of our stake calendar and put in google calendars so I can overlay it on my other google calendars. But I found I had to write a small conversion script to change the format between what the stake website outputs and what google requires as input. But it is still very nice to have the csv output from the stake website.)

I like your idea of a CSV import to LUWS. An iCalendar import would also be useful because so many external systems support it.

Unfortunately, exporting the LUWS calendar data and then importing it to Google Calendar transgresses Church policy.
mamadsen

LUWS Calendar Enhancement

Post by mamadsen »

I posted a suggestion to allow CSV imports to the LUWS calendar mid 2008. I am sure I was not the first, but agree with others that this would be a great benefit in time savings.

Here is another suggestion: It would be great to link resource calendars with the event calendar so when you are posting an event on a stake or ward calendar, you can select the resource calendar for the event to show on. This would prevent having to enter an event multiple times. It would also facilitate a more accurate picture on the resource calendar as to when the resource is available.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

MRK wrote:Here is another suggestion: It would be great to link resource calendars with the event calendar so when you are posting an event on a stake or ward calendar, you can select the resource calendar for the event to show on. This would prevent having to enter an event multiple times. It would also facilitate a more accurate picture on the resource calendar as to when the resource is available.
Indeed that would be helpful. It has been discussed previously in this thread (see this post) and is on the wiki page LUWS: Feedback and Suggestions under Resource Scheduling.
kbwinter

Post by kbwinter »

I'm new to the posting thing so I apologize if I missed this item.

Item 1: I would like to be able to suppress the notices when something is updated or cancelled.
Item 2: I would also like to be able to change the submitters name.

In item1 if a unit hasn't updated the system and John was to get baptized in March and it was never approved, we go in, decline it, and even though it's month's later and John was baptized, an email is sent the you can't do it. Of course the person doing the maintenance is most often not the one that missed the post and takes the heat.

In Item 2, if a person is released after submitting an item, they remain the sole source of notification.

Thanks.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”