Next Revision Unit Web Sites Wish List

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
SingerGuy

Post by SingerGuy »

Techgy wrote:It would be extremely handy if the administrator had access to a users account and was able to update the Email address of a member. This would make it easier to eliminate the number of Email bounces that occur when members forget to change their Email address. The administrator could simply contact the member on the phone, obtain the new Email address and make the change.
Amen! Bounced emails are my number one problem as a Stake administrator. I don't even send out announcements except for the really big things that are usually last minute in nature and really have to have an email notification. Bounces have driven me away from using the announcement feature.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

SingerGuy59 wrote:Amen! Bounced emails are my number one problem as a Stake administrator. I don't even send out announcements except for the really big things that are usually last minute in nature and really have to have an email notification. Bounces have driven me away from using the announcement feature.
I did a very labor intensive thing to help with the number of returned emails from stake broadcasts. I copied out all the returns, determined which wards they were from, and then sent each ward a list of those returned emails from their ward. I sent it to the listed web administrator, the executive secretary and bishop's counselors when I had their addresses, with instructions on how to resolve the issue. I haven't sent a broadcast message since so I don't know how much this helped.
SingerGuy

Post by SingerGuy »

zaneclark wrote:I did a very labor intensive thing to help with the number of returned emails from stake broadcasts. I copied out all the returns, determined which wards they were from, and then sent each ward a list of those returned emails from their ward. I sent it to the listed web administrator, the executive secretary and bishop's counselors when I had their addresses, with instructions on how to resolve the issue. I haven't sent a broadcast message since so I don't know how much this helped.
Yep! I did that a year ago. I even had a stake leadership meeting with all of the ward administrators and I showed them how to do it for their individual wards, but to little or no avail. Those in my stake who are bouncing don't seem to care that they are outdated.

I even thought about blocking them and waiting for them to call up complaining that they couldn't log on so I could make them promise to immediately change their email address when I let them back in. I've actually done it with one individual because a bounce from his email provider results in error messages immediately, at 4 hours, 12 hours, 24 hours and 96 hours, then another when it is purged from the queue.
terrellthomas

MLS Information Should Post to Ward & Stake Sites

Post by terrellthomas »

Why have people doing double work things like Leadership should post to the Ward & Stake Sites!!!!
preston.baxter

Post by preston.baxter »

Another calendar item request: allow administrators to send email notifications from existing events, not just new ones. Our auxilliaries often post "place-holder" events on the calendar and fill in the details later. Currently I don't have an option to send notification to a particular group when those details are filled in later. It would also be nice to re-email the same group if details change prior to the event.

I know I can delete the old one and create another from scratch ...
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

zaneclark wrote:I did a very labor intensive thing to help with the number of returned emails from stake broadcasts.
I propose a much simpler solution. Let the Admin flag an e-mail address that bounces. He does not even need to know what the e-mail address is. He just goes to the user and flags the e-mail off.

Then, let the user know the next time s/he logs in that the e-mail has been deactivated and needs to be changed. The user can unflag the address (if it is correct and temporarily bounced) or change the address (which would also unflag it).

This way, the Admin does not have to worry about more than one bounce, and the Admin does not have to worry if the member does not care any longer. When the member cares again, or moves, or whatever, the member can still access the site.
SingerGuy

Post by SingerGuy »

preston.baxter wrote:Another calendar item request: allow administrators to send email notifications from existing events, not just new ones. Our auxilliaries often post "place-holder" events on the calendar and fill in the details later. Currently I don't have an option to send notification to a particular group when those details are filled in later. It would also be nice to re-email the same group if details change prior to the event.

I know I can delete the old one and create another from scratch ...
Why not use the broadcast email function and just compose an email to the same group that would have received the calendar update? That way has the added benefit of being able to include all of the details about the event rather than the cryptic, "go to the web site for further information."

Just a thought.
SingerGuy

Post by SingerGuy »

lajackson wrote:I propose a much simpler solution. Let the Admin flag an e-mail address that bounces. He does not even need to know what the e-mail address is. He just goes to the user and flags the e-mail off.

Then, let the user know the next time s/he logs in that the e-mail has been deactivated and needs to be changed. The user can unflag the address (if it is correct and temporarily bounced) or change the address (which would also unflag it).

This way, the Admin does not have to worry about more than one bounce, and the Admin does not have to worry if the member does not care any longer. When the member cares again, or moves, or whatever, the member can still access the site.
This could work with one minor change/addition: there should be a search function on both the ward and stake levels for an admin to find the user account based on the email address and then to be able to flag the account within the search results.

As a stake admin I would not want to have to navigate down to nine ward sites and then have my browser or toolbar plugin do a search of the registered members page to find the bouncing email address.
preston.baxter

Post by preston.baxter »

Maybe the email notifications sent from calendar events could include the event title, date and any details in the body of the email?
mamadsen

Post by mamadsen »

Here is another suggestion:

Many units use calendaring software like Calendar Creator, to plan the entire year. It would be great to allow for an upload or import of these types of calendars into the stake/ward calendar to save time and reduce double data entry of the calendar.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”