E-mail calendar notifications

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
lajackson
Community Moderators

E-mail calendar notifications

Post by lajackson »

I sent a feedback through LUWS but wanted to report here that I added a calendar item and selected it for display on only two units in our stake. I then selected e-mail notification, thinking the e-mails would only go to members of those two units.

The e-mails went to the entire stake. I am now having to explain to a boatload of folks why they should ignore the e-mail they got. Which they will not do and the rumors are flying.

And all I was looking for was a notification tool for some of the folks directly involved in the event. Never should have done it.

At least all of the bounces went to CHQ. I think. I just got the nasty e-mails from folks who claim they are not members. When I look up their e-mails, they correspond with member e-mails, but with an additional letter added to their address. Go figure.
ShirtsDre

Email removal requests

Post by ShirtsDre »

lajackson wrote:At least all of the bounces went to CHQ. I think. I just got the nasty e-mails from folks who claim they are not members. When I look up their e-mails, they correspond with member e-mails, but with an additional letter added to their address. Go figure.
All bounces do go to CHQ.
Please forward all the "nasty" emails requesting removal to CHQ: msrmail@ldsmail.net. We need to remove them from LUWS immediately. Users that have typos in their email addresses are usually members that haven't merged their old LUWS account with LDS Account yet, which verifies they have a correct email address.
-- Learn from the past. Prepare for the future. Live in the present. -- President Thomas S. Monson
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

BillyBoJimBob wrote:All bounces do go to CHQ.
Please forward all the "nasty" emails requesting removal to CHQ: msrmail@ldsmail.net. We need to remove them from LUWS immediately. Users that have typos in their email addresses are usually members that haven't merged their old LUWS account with LDS Account yet, which verifies they have a correct email address.

Thanks. Have you figured out why the original notification went to the entire stake instead of just to the two units involved?
ShirtsDre

Post by ShirtsDre »

lajackson wrote:Thanks. Have you figured out why the original notification went to the entire stake instead of just to the two units involved?
It surprisingly wasn't ever designed to limit the email list based off of which units were selected to display the event in. It makes sense to do it that way. I will submit an enhancement request and see if it can be approved for implementation.
-- Learn from the past. Prepare for the future. Live in the present. -- President Thomas S. Monson
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

BillyBoJimBob wrote:It surprisingly wasn't ever designed to limit the email list based off of which units were selected to display the event in. It makes sense to do it that way. I will submit an enhancement request and see if it can be approved for implementation.

Thanks.

Wish I had known that last week! Live and learn. Don't you love it when these computers do exactly what they were programmed to do? [grin]

The side benefit, of course, is that we are getting a whole lot more publicity for our calendar item than we intended. We will need to borrow an extra cultural hall for a day.
rnmecham

Post by rnmecham »

I have an issue with using "Mail Event" in iCal. I just synchronized my church calendar with my iCal calendar which seemed to work fine, but when right click on an event (Bishopric meeting) and select "Mail Event", it opens a new mail dialog box, but the information line has the time of the event listed 6 hours later than the event shows in the calendar. For example, my Bishopric Meeting is in the calendar at 7:00 am but when I mail the event it says "Rick informs you of the event: Bishopric Meeting, scheduled for January 2, 2011 at 1:00 PM. To add it to your calendar, click the link below.
Any idea why this would happen and how I can fix it? All of my other iCal calendars work fine when mailing an event.

Rick
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rnmecham wrote:but the information line has the time of the event listed 6 hours later than the event shows in the calendar.

By any chance, are you in the UTC-6 time zone? (If my calculation are correct, that would be Central Standard Time.)

From the samples posted, the iCal exports tend to be in UTC time. The iCal probably compensates for time zone correctly for times listed in the calendar, but might not be translating them for the email.

Just a guess.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”